Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Gas prices rise despite abundant supply

I just hope taht all the people that are driving Hummers, Escalade's and any other gas guzzzling SUV or Sports car is suffering. But then again, they bought the car so they should learn about the consequences.

Despite supplies being at highest levels in 14 years gas prices spiked dramatically over the last week. I know I about died when I filled up.

staugustinerecord

I think they are running out of excuses for why they raise the price of gas no matter what the conditions are. They are always saying its supply and demand. Obviously, its not as the above report shows. Plenty of gas, people are using less yet the price continues to climb. Where is the outrage on the part of the public, though? Where are the calls to our representatives? As long as we continue to meekly sit by and accept it, these price gougers will continue to rob us. Our so-called representatives aren't any better though. A friend of mine is a Delegate in the Maryland Legislature. He just sent me an email describing our Democratic Governor's new energy policy. Check it out:

Date: 2/14/2008 11:57:35 AM

To:

Subject: Annapolis Update #3 - Governor's Energy Plan

Annapolis Update #3 - Governor O'Malley's Energy Conservation Plan - Feb. 14, 2008

Governor Martin O'Malley's energy plan for Maryland was presented to my committee, Economic Matters, on Tuesday. His plan, in short, is to increase our utility rates, forcing the public to use less energy. His thinking is that people don't care how high their rates are, as long as they are paying less, and the way to achieve this is to make energy cost so high that none of us can afford to use it, which means we all use less, which makes our bills smaller. The Governor will use the increased money you are paying to buy energy-efficient refrigerators and light bulbs for poor people.

This is his energy plan. I am not kidding you, it really is his plan. I do not support it. I will be following up this brief report in a few days with the course I believe the state and the county should take to relieve our energy problems.

Rick Impallaria

Delegate, District 7

Our esteemed Governor here regards regular people as complete imbeciles, to play with as he chooses. How many other idiots like this are running State Governments?

With two ex-oilmen in the White House, why should anyone be surprised how the oil companies have been allowed to price gouge to their heart's contents? :nono: And the oil companies, despite record profits, have refused to build new oil refineries for years, which would help sustain the supply of oil and help ease the times in the year when there is a switch to different grades of fuel, which is used as an excuse for smaller supplies of fuel at times, which means higher prices for us!

One other group to blame is the investors and stock holders in oil companies who should be urging oil companies to invest in refineries imo and to give consumers a break by lowering prices just as speedily as they are raised when some supply "problem" arrises.

As far as Illinois Governor Blagoyovich goes, he will never get my vote again. He has the state of Illinois in horrible financial shape with excessive loans outstanding. He also balanced one budget by not paying the money owed to my state retirement fund. He was slow to help compomise on the transit bill, then loaded it up with free rides for senior, which will cost millions, and supposedly help his next re-election efffort. He was re-elected over a weaker opponent because the Republican Party was racked with scandal - our previous governor (George Ryan) is in prison for a scandal involving licenses for sale to truckers! (But Blago DID NOT get my vote) He has had a feud with legislators and others by refusing to move to Springfield the state capital. He is an outrage!

With two ex-oilmen in the White House, why should anyone be surprised how the oil companies have been allowed to price gouge to their heart's contents?

Yeah, that was my comment eight years ago and things haven't changed and Kor is correct - obviously it isn't supply and demand. As for refineries I think they're obfuscating to pressue people to drill in ANWR which of course means nothing if there aren't new refineries.

As for bad Governor's - at least twice I've seen on the internet that Florida's Gov Crist might make McCain's short list for VP - this would not be good - really not good.