Sign in to follow this  
fredbroca

The motion picture

I just finished watching the directers cut of star trek 1 and I would have to say I like the changes they made. The only things that buged me was the red alert sound was changed and it sounds bad and they cut two seens with sulu and now he just sits in his chair the whole movie. What do you think?

I like STTMP..I think it is a very underrated TOS Movie..I like it a lot..And I do like the Directors Version..They did a good job with it in my opinion..Not sure about Sulu's scenes that were cut..I would have to re-watch an old version of the Movie and I don't expect I'll be doing do that..

I like the DC but I agree cutting out the Sulu scenes was unnecessary. Those scenes were [probably] cut not because of Sulu but because of Ilea, those scenes were mainly about Ilea (empathic ability's) and the director wanted to take away from the film, parts which showed similarities between the character's of her and Troi. I hope that made sense. :bow: Where's the "hangover" smilie?

I have the 1982 TV version, with all the deleted scenes retorred, on VHS which I had thought was the theatrical version. When I saw the Director's Cut on the DVD I had bought, I thought the movie was butcherred until I discoverd my VHS copy was an extended TV version with restorred deleted scenes. This explains the aweful scene where Kirk exits the airlock and you can see the stage behind the incomplete airlock set. :bow:

Anywho, not much of the theatrical version is cut from the film, a few scenes have different angles which work much better, some scenes are editted, there's a few extra added exterrior scenes. The only major change was at the end of the movie when they exit the Enterprise and head towards V'Ger.

Also, I loved how they showed the warp nacelle outside the window of the lounge.

I liked the DC but something I wish they changed was the circling of the enterprise in dry dock scene. I always thought that scene went on too long even though Robert Wise said that it was needed to make vger look huge. Still everytime I look at that scene I think of that mad magazine parody:

Kirk: Amazing

Scotty: The modification to the ship?

Kirk: No the fact that we've been circling this thing for an hour and haven't found the blasted door.

Other then that i thought it was excellent. Especially when they actually show vger flying in space.

Actually, I thought the scene was very fitting. When the movie first came out, this had been the first time anyone had scene the Enterprise in 10 years, despite the movie being set only 2 1/2 years later, and with the ship having a completely new look... I dunno, the scene just fit. Had the movie come only a few years after the series, then I would agree with ya. :bow: :)