Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

PETA Opposes Tribute To Fried Chicken

PETA Opposes Tribute to Fried Chicken

AP

Posted: 2008-02-09 06:53:37

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - Animals rights advocates are squawking at a measure that would make fried chicken Kentucky's official picnic food.

State Rep. Charles Siler is sponsoring legislation to assign the designation to KFC's "finger lickin' good" chicken, first served by Colonel Harland Sanders in 1940.

The late colonel's fried chicken deserves the title because of the worldwide attention and economic benefit it has brought to the state, Siler said. KFC, a subsidiary of Louisville-based Yum Brands Inc., has 11,000 restaurants in more than 80 countries.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals bristles at the idea. The animal rights group claims that the chickens KFC serves are abused, even tortured.

"If the state legislature moves forward with this one, then they should change Kentucky's state bird from the cardinal to the debeaked, crippled, scalded, diseased, dead chicken," said Bruce Friedrich, PETA vice president.

PETA has been involved in a long-standing battle with KFC, and even began a push two years ago to have a bust of the bespectacled Colonel Sanders removed from the Kentucky Capitol. Sanders, with his white goatee and black string tie, became recognizable worldwide by marketing his fried chicken.

I think that the state of Kentucky mad an excellent choice and PETA is just being silly.

There is something behind all this. The actual treatment of animals at some plants:

Kentucky Fried Chicken should improve treatment of chickens

By: Guest Commentary |

Issue date: 8/5/04 Commentary

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' recent undercover investigation of a Kentucky Fried Chicken slaughterhouse run by the second-largest chicken company in the U.S. has opened my eyes to the reality of the chicken industry. Workers were filmed stomping on birds, kicking them, and slamming them against floors and walls.

They also ripped off chickens' beaks, twisted off their heads, spat tobacco into their eyes and mouths, spray-painted their faces, and tied their legs together for laughs -- all while still fully conscious. The investigation was conducted at this location because it was the site of a KFC "Supplier of the Year" award ceremony.

Chickens are probably the most abused animals on the planet. They have their sensitive beaks seared off with hot blades and are crammed into tiny cages with the decomposing remains of other birds. Hundreds of thousands are left to starve to death, and huge numbers die as a result of long journeys in extreme weather conditions. Basically, any and all abuse is allowable when it comes to chickens, who are, in fact, remarkable animals with distinct personalities and intelligence that, if allowed to develop, is as advanced as that of cats and dogs. Most importantly, they feel pain, just as we do.

The video is almost beyond description -- workers at a KFC slaughterhouse stomp, kick, and slam birds against walls. How bad does it have to get before KFC changes the way it treats chickens?

For more information and to see the video for yourself, please visit http://www.KFCCruelty.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curtis Taylor lives in Eugene.

END ARTICLE

I am guilty of eating way too much chicken, whether it's KFC, Boston, or Browns. When you read or see something like this, it does make you stop and think. Too many kinds of animals are being raised in factory like conditions and that should be disturbing to more people. Perhaps KFC has improved their conditions ... but I'm not positive that is true.

We raised plenty of chickens on our farm. And some did seem to have personalitites. As we got out of the business, my Dad took care, for a couple years, of one bird that went blind, carefully putting it up on a roost out of harms way (there were foxes around) every night, and then putting it out in our yard to peck around for bugs. It was a nice rooster, and it always made me smile to see it mamaging to cope, with my Dad's help.

I had a pet rooster when I was a kid and my son had a pet chicken. The conditions described above obviously should be looked into but its not going to make me stop buying chicken.

Most people try not to think of how the animals that they are eating were killed. I'm sure if you look into any type of livestock like beef, veal ,etc. we would be just as shocked.

I for one refuse to eat vegetables. It is one thing to kill animals for food but it is something else entirely to eat carrots or corn or lettuce that might have kept an animal from starving.

Thats a good point. <_<

Trekz, now I feel terrible 'cause I do eat chicken. I actually worked on a volunteer ranch one day - and I became a vegetarian for several months. When you've watched a little calf castrated with a pocket while two men hold it down - it does something to you. Not to mention the branding (which I'm not sure they do anymore) and the horn removal <_< !

However, you can buy free range chickens - they just cost a lot more.

I stopped taking Peta seriously years ago. Oh wait, I've never taken peta seriously.

I have canine teeth for ripping meat, therefore I eat tasty, tasty critters. And don't even get me going Vegheads, it won't be pretty. I'm a omnivore, your an herbivore....a natural food source. <_<

I had a pet rooster when I was a kid and my son had a pet chicken. The conditions described above obviously should be looked into but its not going to make me stop buying chicken.

Most people try not to think of how the animals that they are eating were killed. I'm sure if you look into any type of livestock like beef, veal ,etc. we would be just as shocked.

You are most likely right Kor. There are inhumane conditions involved in lots of animal harvesting, sadly.

Trekz, now I feel terrible 'cause I do eat chicken. I actually worked on a volunteer ranch one day - and I became a vegetarian for several months. When you've watched a little calf castrated with a pocket while two men hold it down - it does something to you. Not to mention the branding (which I'm not sure they do anymore) and the horn removal <_< !

However, you can buy free range chickens - they just cost a lot more.

I didn't post this to make people feel bad, although we should all THINK more about where and how our food comes from. I had heard of this before, but more importantly I wanted to point out that despite the haedlines, and the fact that PETA can get carried away a bit at times, there are serious issues involved with KFC and treatment of chickens at a least one facility (and probably others). I don't think about this enough myself and I should know better, having grown up on a farm.

You're right about free range chickens, TUH, I should search to see if they are available locally here.

What PETA conveniently forgets to tell everyone is that millions of animals die horrible deaths when just about every crop is harvested. What, you thought nothing but grain lives in grain fields? And what do you suppose happens to those animals when the grain combine comes through?

When you've watched a little calf castrated with a pocket while two men hold it down - it does something to you.

You know, I'd think I'd want to see something get castrated with a pocket just out of morbid curiousity. That must be one hell of a pocket!

My great uncle and aunt still live in a little shack out on the bayou. They have no electricity, use a privy and keep their own animals for meat. I used to spend summers with my uncle Monroe (who I love to death) fishing for crabs, crawfish, garfish, and just about anything else we could trap or hook on a line. I've watched my aunt Lena snap chicken necks, pluck 'em and prepare them for a pot. I've seen rabbits and hogs slaughtered. Eaten nutrias, squirrels, turtles, ducks. If it flies, burrows or swims through central Florida or southern Louisiana I've probably eaten it at some point.

Doesn't bother me a bit. That's why they're there. Food. Man has been raising and slaughtering animals for food for thousands of years.

Edited by Captain Armstrong

In other news, Kentucky declares fried PETA it's official picnic food.

I mean, it's better to eat humans than chickens, right? And what better group, they should be happy to be eaten!