Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Woman With Vomiting Daughter Gets Ticket

Woman With Vomiting Daughter Gets Ticket

AP

Posted: 2008-01-30 19:01:04

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Gina Boyd's day already had soured when her 3-year-old daughter began vomiting in her Dodge Caravan. Then she got a traffic ticket.

Boyd, 27, got a $123 citation from a Hillsborough County deputy on Monday after she made an improper U-turn to attend to her vomiting daughter.

Boyd is a stay-at-home mother of three whose husband is in the Army. He is currently serving in Iraq.

Boyd realizes she violated the law but wished the deputy had exercised discretion upon seeing why she had made the improper turn.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said Boyd committed an illegal U-turn and got a citation for it.

Gee....I sure hope this cop gets the "Officer Of The Month" award....... :P

I hope this woman takes this to court because any judge in his/her right mind will slam this cop in front of everybody!

I agree the cop should have looked the other way, but he was doing his job.

It is the cop's job to enforce the law.

It is the judge's job to interpret the law and grant exceptions as necessary.

True, it's the cop's job to enforce the law. However, if a policeman pulls over a speeder and discovers that they are on the way to the hospital, I assume the ticket is generally waived. IMO that should have happened in this case, as there was a health issue involved.

I also agree that some cops are uppity and some seem to be on power trips, not to mention the commonly held belief that they often have to issue a certain munber of tickets just to provide revenue for their communities.

Edited by trekz

I guess it really depends on the situation. There was a woman in my area who sped her husband to the hospital after he was bitten by a rattlesnake - yes, that usually sounds like a good reason to speed. BUT apparently the bite was minimal and she almost caused an accident and was driving dangerously aside from speeding. She could have called for help - it wasn't worth risking someone else's life for a non-emergency situation.

So to the incident at hand. How and where did the woman make a U-turn? Was it dangerous - did she put her daughter at further risk? Did she risk causing an accident? If not, IMO the officer had discretion to write a warning.