Sign in to follow this  
trekzone

EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY

referring episode "11.59" VOY-5.12...

...around 2210...piloting the craft while his crew slept, and without even the comfort of radio communications (subspace transmitters were not yet in general use...

Does that change the entire Enterprise plot or what.. Or am i being quick to judge, i still have to watch the episode, however this information was on the slick............note the date!

Enterprise takes place about 40 years later, we can assume with the help of the Vulcans the humans develop subspace communications. So the Enterprise plot is safe.

Enterprise would be rather pointless without subspace transmitters so I guess they just included them in and hoped no one would notice. I do have a couple of ideas though...

The quote says that the transmitters were not in general use. Its possible that prototype(s) were made and were fitted into Enterprise as some kind of 'field test' (after all they do have a working prototype transporter on Enterprise) OR the Vulcan had transmitters then didn't they? Maybe the gave the transmitter(s) to StarFleet for use in the NX-01 only, as a good will gesture.

Other then that I'm stumped.

I think the Voyager line does nothing to impede Enterprise because it lacks continuity credibility. Starfleet had subspace transmitters by at least 2168, as established in "A Piece of the Action". There have also been several references to starships which did not require the crew to go into the stasis ie: the Archon, the Essex, the Horizon in the 2160's. As well as the fact that the crew going into stasis would put a cramp on the Romulan War. So, the Voyager line does not impede Enterprise as a series because it really doesn't have any supporting facts.

Edited by Jack_Bauer

Sasooni's got the right idea about general use, with extreme emphasis on general. We have tonnes of tech today that is used only by the military and we wouldn't say any of it is in general use, would we? I think it's important not to go too far in taking one line from an old episode and nitpick things to bits.