Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

StarTrek.Com, shutting down?

For all the bad things people have to say about the st.com boards, I wonder, when was the last time any of you spent any time there?

You've got to be kidding me. Since 2003 I've spent a lot of time at st.com and I will NEVER step virtual foot in that Website. I find it sad that it's the official site.

For all the bad things people have to say about the st.com boards, I wonder, when was the last time any of you spent any time there?

You've got to be kidding me. Since 2003 I've spent a lot of time at st.com and I will NEVER step virtual foot in that Website. I find it sad that it's the official site.

I agree with you Trip. I joined that "website" in '98. I found it to fall short of the mark when it came to intelligent and mature conversatons related to Star Trek. It is beyond sad. It is pathetic. :lol:

I agree with you Trip. I joined that "website" in '98. I found it to fall short of the mark when it came to intelligent and mature conversatons related to Star Trek. It is beyond sad. It is pathetic. :lol:

Certain members at st.co seem to get enjoyment out of harassing new members and calling them duals of another member or just plain harassing them to point where they have to leave.

I am very saddened that startrek.com is still up and running. It should've been shut down a LONG time ago.

Certain members at st.co seem to get enjoyment out of harassing new members and calling them duals of another member or just plain harassing them to point where they have to leave.

I am very saddened that startrek.com is still up and running. It should've been shut down a LONG time ago.

Yeah, you're right about that!!! i've noticed certain members from there come over here to argue and add nothing else to these discussions. On behalf of all true Star Trek fans, I want to say i am sorry for what you had to endure at st.com. It is truly a place for kids, whereas ST Fans.net is a place for adults :lol:

So let me get this straight, a few of us who enjoyed the ST.com site and were never any part of "drama" come here for support from fellow fans, and all we get are most pages of "Good!" or "Im glad! HAH!" and the like?? Interestingly enough, THIS thread is the most drama ive seen in ANY startrek conversation Ive had online in a LONG time. I never saw or paid attention to this kind of snobby attitude over there, it seems much more prevalent here based on this thread. So many of you are "glad" it was shut down because someone flamed you at that site--so the rest of us should be locked out?? Gee, thanks so much, you sound VERY mature. My first impression of this site is a bunch of people that WERE PART of the drama over there and now sit here whining and happy when even our regular posters over there got locked out---how many posts in a row whining about st.com??? Come on, the internet is the internet---you know how many times I was flamed and argued with over there? I couldnt tell ya--none of it was enough to bother me where I am as bothered as you guys are. All I hear on this site is whining about the way SOME people talk over there---nevermind the fact that they fired people on Christmas or were GOING to just trash the site before people made it known they couldnt just do that. The majority of my conversations over there were mature and interesting, and the occasional flame was usually ignored. Sounds to me like all alot of you care about is some insult--real or imagined--and thats all you are focused on. Elitist on top of it. Only took a few days here to see the kind of bashing and superior attitude that is found on this site, and for it to be removed from out group links already--not sure what we did to deserve this attitude, or why you lumped us all into one group. You know what? Even if your site is in trouble tomorrow, even with these pages of nonsense, I wouldnt "gloat" over your site being shutdown. Have fun, im outtie.

The worst part of it? I never heard this much negativity or whining in any of the threads I took part in over there, or heard so many people gloating & glad EVERYONE would be locked out because of a few bad apples. You gave a very bad first impression guys, absolutely horrible. My group of family, friends, and contacts were never the drama types over there, so its very insulting you'd just ignore us and gloat over the site trying to lock us out and canning the team on Christmas. Thanks for the great support, just remember that should you ever need even a little bit of backup, how your active members not only ignored decent posters at ST.com, but gloated over the situation. And this is the "mature" website? Not the impression we got, I assure you. Merry Christmas.

Edited by Horatiohornblower

It is not really the few bad people over there these members are angry at, they are angry that they were never helped by the "staff". The abuse just kept on and on and on and on and on and on etc etc etc and all the while the "staff" must have thought it all was just as funny as the perps did because they never did anything!

So let me get this straight...

You have to understand why STARTREKFANS.NET even exists to kind of understand the thinking behind some of those comments.

I was originally a member of ST.COM's message board and had been for at least a few years, it had degraded into a Spammers paradise with racism and hatred in every thread. It was NOT a good place to go, so in 2003 I decided to start a message board. I did so out of boredom on a Sunday morning at work really and the original theme and topic wasn't even Star Trek, is was Country music group Alabama. Star Trek was an add on topic that quickly (Very quickly) took over.

As time went on over the course of the following weeks and months more and more people got sick of all of the vile crap going on at the official board that they began joining here and probably making their own boards or joining other boards that I'm not aware of.

Then in January 2004 ST.COM shut down their chat room and a lot of people migrated over to here, many of which are still here today.

As time goes by we gain members and others visit less frequently but the core membership here still remembers all of the hatred that ST.COM once was and still may be. I can't say because I haven't visited in several years, not the message board anyway.

So when you see people saying "Good" or "It's about time!" don't take that to be in reference to ST.COM itself, just the message board over there and those feelings may be rooted in the way things were 3 or 4 years ago as opposed to how they may or may not be today.

So take those thoughts in mind when you see comments of pleasure or satisfaction about ST.COM's board going away. I don't think anyone here or on any Star Trek site would be happy to see StarTrek.com itself vanish, and by "itself" I am talking about the site and not the message board.