Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Loudspeaker Karaoke Scares Conn. Teacher

Loudspeaker Karaoke Scares Conn. Teacher

AP

Posted: 2007-12-13 10:23:25

ROXBURY, Conn. (AP) - Karaoke can be scary, but threatening?

A school custodian's impromptu after-hours karaoke performance prompted a police response when a teacher thought she was being threatened over the loudspeaker.

State police say the teacher at Booth Free School barricaded herself inside a classroom Wednesday when she mistook someone singing a Guns N' Roses song over the public address system for a threat.

She was working after hours and thought no one else was in the building. Then she heard someone say over the loudspeaker that she was going to die.

Six troopers and three police dogs showed up and found three teenagers, one of them a custodian at the school, who had been playing with the public address system.

Police say one of them sang "Welcome to the Jungle" into the microphone. The song contains the lyrics "You're in the jungle baby; you're gonna die."

The teenagers were cuffed for about 15 minutes while police investigated. They didn't realize anyone else was in the school at the time. No charges will be filed, said state police Sgt. Brian Ness.

This teacher needs to find another line of work. She sounds like a moron!

I don't think sure she was a moron? How many shooting incidents have been in the news in the last week? If I was alone in my classroom and heard someone say over the intercom "you're going to die..." I'd probably be scared too.

Of course I would never stay alone in a classroom with no one else in the school.

I don't think sure she was a moron? How many shooting incidents have been in the news in the last week? If I was alone in my classroom and heard someone say over the intercom "you're going to die..." I'd probably be scared too.

Of course I would never stay alone in a classroom with no one else in the school.

If someone had just said "you're going to die" over the intercom, I could understand the teacher's reaction. However, that wasn't the case was it? A few kids were just singing a song which included that line. Also, that line in the song is towards the middle to end of the song. All this teacher heard was someone singing a song over the intercom. She's still a moron...

At the same time, that line follows a part of the song where there aren't words. If the kids were singing the music part then sure you could tell it was part of the song if you hadn't heard it before (or it had been 20 years since you heard it), but what if they didn't?

Its just a song. I wonder if this teacher is just as easily unnerved when kids make noise in the hallway? If so, maybe it is time for a change of scenery? :laugh:

Edited by GhostofMajorHayes

I've never heard the song - and I'm not a shut in. :laugh:

Also, the article doesn't say she heard the entire song was sung over the loudspeaker - maybe they just figured it out when they got to that part.

And this happened just a couple of days after some kid shot up a mall.