Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Mystery Fla. Animal Likely a Squirrel

Mystery Fla. Animal Likely a Squirrel

AP

Posted: 2007-11-16 21:45:23

MACCLENNY, Fla. (AP) - An animal sneaking around Baker County is not an orangutan as originally thought but likely a fox squirrel, state wildlife officials said Friday. Officers with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission laid doughnuts at a base of a tree after residents reported seeing a "big orange ball of fur."

The animal was probably an orange phase fox squirrel, Fish and Wildlife investigator Ken Holmes told The Florida Times-Union. The red-orange animals can grow to be about 2 feet tall and can climb in trees.

"I'll be astonished if it's an orangutan," Holmes said. "I can quite confidently say it's probably not an orangutan."

He said the animal's eating habits did not match with the patterns of a primate.

"I'm not discounting anything," Holmes said. "However, this creature, whatever it may be, simply isn't acting like a primate."

Information from: The Florida Times-Union, http://www.jacksonville.com

How do you mix up a squirrel with an orangutan?

If someone is confused about squirrels' versus primates, maybe they need to watch more Discovery Channel or Animal Planet! :P

I have had my own close encouner with a Florida squirrel.

We were visiting Bok Tower in central Florida, and I decided to sit down at a bench. Apparently this squirrel was used to being fed there and came over then jumped up onto my lap! I was not amused and had no chow for him. He did get off and I avoided benches for the rest of the trip!

Side note: The best fed squirrels I ever saw were at the Hayes Presidential Museum in Ohio. They literally waddled along, and I seriously doubt some could climb a tree without a crane. :P :P

The difference in size alone should be one helluva clue.

Well.......this IS the state where many of the people can't figure out how to read their voting cards.......... :P

*Quickly runs away to escape the wrath of Unicorn_Hunter*......... :P

Silly people, I'm sure it's just a baby "Skunk Ape"

skunkape

Maybe I'd better add - the Skunk Ape is sort of the Florida Bigfoot.

The difference in size alone should be one helluva clue.

Well.......this IS the state where many of the people can't figure out how to read their voting cards.......... :P

*Quickly runs away to escape the wrath of Unicorn_Hunter*......... :P

Seems all those problems occured in counties with a high Yankee population - ie South Florida.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter