Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

Enterprise NX-01

I was watching Voyager episode 194 "Hope and Fear". It it an alien disguises his slip stream ship as a Starfleet vessel. It was called the "U.S.S. Dauntless NX-01-A" According to this, the Dauntless was the name of the NX-01, but we all know that Enterprise is the title. The alien could have gotten this name incorrect, but Tuvok should have noticed that the NX-01 was called Enterprise and therefore it's spin off, the NX-01-A should have been titled Enterprise as well. Of course, the show Enterprise didn't exist when this episode was made, but it is still interesting to note.

Could it be that the NX-01-A (The second class of NX-01) was renamed to Dauntless? Also, Enterprise is just Enterprise and not U.S.S. Enterprise, that also could have something to do with it.

You're are all wrong the Dauntless is a carrierbased diver bomber used during WWII... Built by Douglas in the thousands it servered from the late 40 up to 44... When it was replaced by the SBC2 Helldiver built by Curtiss.

The dauntless was a single engine two seat aircraft. Known for it's outsanding strength and servive ablity. It only lacked the range and payload capacity which is why it was later replaced by the unhappy SBC2 aka "Son Of A (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) Second Class" Helldiver. Which never really was well liked by the pilots due to it's poor handling characteristics. All in all most pilots that flew the Dauntless SBD would have rather stayed with it then change over to the Helldiver.

But that's just a bit too much I think for most

You're are all wrong the Dauntless is a carrierbased diver bomber used during WWII... Built by Douglas in the thousands it servered from the late 40 up to 44... When it was replaced by the SBC2 Helldiver built by Curtiss. 

The dauntless was a single engine two seat aircraft.  Known for it's outsanding strength and servive ablity. It only lacked the range and payload capacity which is why it was later replaced by the unhappy SBC2 aka "Son Of A (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) Second Class" Helldiver. Which never really was well liked by the pilots due to it's poor handling characteristics. All in all most pilots that flew the Dauntless SBD would have rather stayed with it then change over to the Helldiver.

But that's just a bit too much I think for most

I think you're a little confused at what's being discussed.

I was watching Voyager episode 194 "Hope and Fear". It it an alien disguises his slip stream ship as a Starfleet vessel. It was called the "U.S.S. Dauntless NX-01-A"

This is in regard to Star Trek (SciFi), not an actual ship/plane.

the SBC2 Second Class is what that should have read... Military guys come up with some really fun nicknames.

Of course this was about Star Trek I was just merely mentioning that a great aircraft of WWII also used that same name. Considering how the whole fight over what the writers and producers have done in Voyager and Enteprise is moot it's already been done... No changing it now.

Edited by poguemahone

You might be right VBG, they could have renamed it. Traditionally though, it would have the same name like all of the Enterprise ships did. But in light of the fact that the U.S.S. Enterprise-1701-E is out and about, they certainly couldn't have a U.S.S. Enterprise NX-01-A running around as well! Now the question is, why would they bother to give it a registry of NX-01-A. There have been other U.S.S. Dauntless's if I recall correctly. Why didn't they use it's registry number?

I have a theory. "NX" denotes an experimental craft-Enterprise NX-01 being the first warp 4 capable starship has that designation. The Voyager episode where the Dauntless NX-01A appeared was about the slipstream technology and how the aliens were trying to convince Voyager's crew that the ship was an experimental Starfleet vessel equipped with a slipstream drive. Maybe that's why the Dauntless had the NX designation-it was supposed to be an experimental craft.