Sign in to follow this  
Syperphobia

Time Alterations

They had a lot of time alteration shows and we seen multipile ships along with multiple people, the deal is.... if I get split into two (as in the case with Harry Kim) and I die, I still live?!? The same deal is with Seska in Shattered, when they had Chakotay going around the ship, did Seska remain alive by going back in time, makes my head hurt. If time travel did exist I think it should have this rule....

When you go back in time, you see the way the world was, but if you go far back enough you would not see those people again, just you alone walking in a world that was once perfect, now barren. If you travel forward in time, you will see the result and the people that will be living, but you would not get a chance to see yourself in the future since you traveled to the time of destitation (why would you see a future self??)

Well, that was rather confusing, but time travel always is. It really does not make any sense. There are way too many paradoxes. We tend to ignore them for the sake of the show, but if you wanna get technical, time travel in Star Trek really wounldn't work and we would have no show. Also, have you ever noticed how the rules of time travel sometimes change from one episode to another. One Picard went through time and met his self, but both could not fuction as a person at the same time. As time got closer the time Picard travelled back in time, the incoherent Picard became coherant and normal while the other did the opposite. It really made little sense, but it was an entertaining episode.

What about episodes like "Yesterdays Enterprise", TNG, where it manages to be understandable? Those are my preferred time-travel episodes... but I like 'em all. What's the name of the episode where the Voyager's frozen... same one mentioned earlier, I think...?

Yesterday's Enterprise was a great episode, and it did avoid being confusing or too paradoxal. I do love every time travel episode, but it one analyzes them too much one often realizes that they don't make sense. The Terminator movies are a great example of this. I could list so many things wrong with the time travel aspects of the three movies.

They had a lot of time alteration shows and we seen multipile ships along with multiple people, the deal is.... if  I get split into two (as in the case with Harry Kim) and I die, I still live?!? The same deal is with Seska in Shattered, when they had Chakotay going around the ship, did Seska remain alive by going back in time, makes my head hurt. If time travel did exist I think it should have this rule....

When you go back in time, you see the way the world was, but if you go far back enough you would not see those people again, just you alone walking in a world that was once perfect, now barren. If you travel forward in time, you will see the result and the people that will be living, but you would not get a chance to see yourself in the future since you traveled to the time of destitation (why would you see a future self??)

In "Deadlock" Harry died, but was replaced by Harry from the duplicate Voyager since the duplicate Voyager's crew were being slaughterred by Vidians, so Janeway activated self destruct. No time travel here, just wacky science. :o

As for Seska in "Shatterred", Seven didn't kill her but simply infected her with nano-probes, I believe. Anywho, Seven explained that once the time-problem was corrected, only Chakotay would recall what happened. At least I think that's what was suppose to happen.

You can kill your "other self" in a different time perriod without dieing. The only problem is that instead of creating a paradox, it creates a very messy timeline that's near impossible to clean up. It's best to avoid your other self in different time perriods.

As for your 2nd paragraph, I have no idea what you mean. I believe that if you travel back in time, you become a "component" of that time perriod. You can interract and everything. This is why I'm strongly against time travel unless the traveler has made precise calculations so that he doesn't damage the timeline.

I think for sake of a story line they have to break the "rules" of time travel just to make it interesting...gotta have paradox or at least the threat of one.

:o

Janeway: "My advice for trying to understand time paradoxes: don't"

Yeah...they're fun to think about. For all of you who have seen the Butterfly Effect, that show really made me think. Time paradoxes are sooo confusing it's not even funny.