Okay, how many times have we seen this plot before? Poor vampire who just wants to be a regular guy. Nick Knight (Forever Knight) was a police officer, Angel was a paranormal investigator - now we have Nick St. John who is a private investigator.

The thing is - with all the cliches Moonlight had much more style than I anticipated - and, overall they did a pretty good job of avoiding cliches in what is so unoriginal of a storyline. I don't recall ever seeing the main actors Alex O'Loughlin or Sophia Myles before but I thought they were both strong in their roles and appealing enough to watch again. In fact I'd say they did a good job with casting. And yes, there is a romantic element that seems destined to be reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast.

Apparently O'Loughlin, an Australian actor, was a contender for the role James Bond.

This is the third rehashed plot I've seen this year (and the third season premiere - imagine that) Bionic Woman lacked charm, appeal, character identification; Journeyman was okay but screamed "Quantum Leap wannabee" but Moonlight - I will definitely watch again and recommend others at least check it out.

When I first heard about it, I,too, thought "Hasn't this been done twice before?" :lol: I saw it tonight, and thought it was good. I was a little disapointed that Nick (another Nick?) was "only" 90, and that it wasn't more "gothic", but I liked the character, so there may be hope for the show.

Am I the only one who was (and still is) shocked to see a vampire out in the daylight? :)

The fact that the girl barely remembers him is interesting, since she may also remember Nick's ex-wife (and their "encounter") before he rescued her.

I'm looking forward to the next episode. :)

Am I the only one who was (and still is) shocked to see a vampire out in the daylight? :)

A few years ago I read Bram Stoker's Dracula and I was surprised that there is no mention of vampires not being able to go out in the sun - in fact Dracula went out in the daylight often. I have no idea where that part of vampire lore came from.

Oh, and when I was looking for reviews I guess it is "Mick" not "Nick" though it sure sounded like Nick.

For anyone interested you can watch this online at cbs.com and it was available for a while for free download at Amazon unbox - don't know if it still is.

Cool! I'd like to see it again. The more I think about it, the idea of a relatively young vampire as a lead characeter is interesting - and a novelty. I hope the series is on long enough for the characters to develop.

It held the number one spot in it's timeslot again last Friday. At first I didn't like the ep because it I've seen some of the basic plot elements so many times (just about every cop or PI show ever made :)) but I rewatched and enjoyed it better the second time.

I've rewatched the first ep as well - Josef has some great lines such as "the food is spouting off about the farmer" - you'd have to watch to get the context.

***my new sig is a quote from the show***

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Since everyone is commenting on the one new show they've stuck with - this one is it for me. I don't know that subsequent eps have been as good as the pilot. I don't know why David Greenwalt left but I know he worked on Miracles and that was a well-made show - which should have done better than it did (although I never watched it until I saw it on DVD).

Anyway back to Moonlight - really not thrilled about Coraline being a recurring character - I like his narrations - I noticed PI shows tend to do that.

It's no Jericho but it's entertaining.

Apparently this won the People's Choice Award for best new drama. (talk about a niche category)

Anyway it does seem to be the one new show of the season with staying power - not that anything is guaranteed to survive the writer's strike.

I thought the Louis IV angle was interesting.