Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Yelchin, the New Chekov, Knows His Russian

The son of Soviet ice skaters jokes that his background likely aided his casting, is looking forward to working with Abrams.

By Michelle

August 30, 2007 - 9:46 PM

Anton Yelchin, who will play Pavel Chekov in the upcoming Star Trek feature film, said that he is looking forward to working with J.J. Abrams on the film.

In a brief video interview with Collider.com, Yelchin confirmed that Chekov would be younger than the rest of the crew. "They're all in their 20's or 30's or whatever," he said of the others.

As for why he was cast, the Leningrad-born actor joked, "I guess...I can do a Russian, familiar with Russian people. Very, very familiar." Yelchin's parents were champion ice skaters in the Soviet Union, but they faced prejudice because they are Jewish and emigrated to the United States when Anton was a baby.

Yelchin said that he had read for the producers on tape, then read for Abrams and expects to report for filming in October. "I know very little about the project," he admitted, adding, "It's cool. I'm really looking forward to working on it. J.J. is such a great person to meet and spend some time with."

Star Trek is scheduled to be released in 2008 on December 25th.

The original interview is here.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/300807_01.shtml

POTC and 'Avatar' actress is said to be in talks to take over as communications officer.

By Michelle

August 30, 2007 - 10:08 PM

Actress Zoë Saldana, who is already known to genre fans for her roles in Pirates of the Caribbean and James Cameron's upcoming Avatar, is rumoured to be in talks to play Uhura in Star Trek.

TrekMovie.com cited "sources close to the production" as saying that Saldana had been offered the role originally played by Nichelle Nichols, assuming that she will be available after shooting the film for Academy Award-winning director Cameron.

In addition to playing Anamaria in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Saldana appeared in the comedy Guess Who and the drama Haven with her Pirates co-star Orlando Bloom. In the movie The Terminal she played a customs officer Saldana played a Trekkie customs officer who performed the Vulcan salute.

Avatar is scheduled to shoot through October and Star Trek is scheduled to begin in November. TrekMovie.com did not know whether Saldana, like Zachary Quinto, would be accommodated for previous scheduled work.

The original article as well as video clips of the actress are available at TrekMovie.com.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/300807_02.shtml

I just can't see how the role of Chekov would have much meat in this movie. During the time period that the movie will portray, Chekov must be a young kid in grade school. He'll probably only get about 10 seconds of airtime at best.

Its also quite possible that his whole appearance will end up on the cutting room floor.