Sign in to follow this  
BKY1701

Scifi Weapons

Ok, so I am programming a scifi game along the lines of Starfleet Command, but set in a totally different game universe. It's far from being done, but I've been thinking about things down the line in development. One of them is weapons.

I would like to break the normal scifi "magical beam" cliches (like phasers- anyone really know what they are supposed to be? I'm an engineer in a ST RP and I don't know beyond treknobabble). I want to have more realistic weapons, the problem is, most realistic weapons are ether archaic by scifi standards (like projectile guns) or don't work well for a game (invisible beams, like lasers and microwave cannons). Theres also some flaws with basic Star Trek weapon tech- why fire a torpedo when you could just fire a beam of anti-matter?

So a few ideas I had were:

Anti-Matter Beam Weapons, to act as the normal "heavy weapon" for capitol/capitol combat.

Anti-Matter Missiles, with tracking systems, to act as a primary weapon against smaller ships or specific systems on larger ships (perhaps with the ability to penetrate shields).

Something like a machine gun (perhaps a laser), to act as a light weapon, for anti-fighter and maybe anti-missile.

A few things I thought of but didn't like were "Lightning guns", that could actually be collected by the target ship; and Plasma/Ion cannons, that seemed frail yet costly compared to A/M beams.

Any other interesting scifi weapons anyone can think of?

Perhaps a device could be invented that would create a wormhole around an object like a ship or a planet. That could be fun.

How about a torpedo that can destabilize a warp field, basically bringing a ship into impulse power, or preventing it from escaping? It could also be useful for pirates.