Sign in to follow this  
Vic

TNG May Be Remastered Like TOS

I heard that in addition to them remastering it, they're going to make them HD as well.

I thought just TOS was good for being remastered considering the effects of the 60's for "TNG"the special effects look alright to me they ought to be as is.

Does this mean that every time a series becomes 20 years old it gets remastered, just because we have the technology to do it? Why not wait until a series is 40 years old, as was done with TOS, and special effects are even more improved, and then "improve" it. Or is it more about the money? :) I'm not a fan of remastering. While I acknowledge that TOS looks sharper, for me it's always been the story, not the FX, that is the crucial element.

Edited by trekz

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!

Some kinds of remastering are ok, some aren't. Although the colors in the remastered TOS look great, I hate the fact that they re-did the special effects. Although they look great, they're obviously anachronistic! It's just as much an adulteration as the colorization of black and white movies.

*rant mode on*

The justification offered for colorization was that young people won't watch the old classic movies unless they're in color. If the Trek Powers That Be are afraid that some young people (or anyone else) won't watch the "older" Treks unless they're "modernized", I say "If some people aren't mature enough to appreciate the original work in its original form, or just don't like watching "old-fashioned stuff", screw 'em! Let them watch something else."

*rant mode off*

If all they do is make it look "sharper", that's different. However, I'm wondering if they'll try to "modernize" the effects. I hope not.

Anyway, after reading trekz's post, I'm now becoming concerned that they may decide to remaster each series every 20 years or so "just because". I hope I can afford to buy all the Treks before the original versions become unavailable.

Edited by BakulaBabe

I completely agree with you, Bakula Babe. I really don't think it's necessary to remaster TNG... and I've never been a supporter of remastering TOS either... I just don't see why it has to be done... just because one can doesn't mean that one has to... :)

(And I'm SO glad that I have TOS and TNG on DVD... I also think that there will be a time when one can't buy the original versions anymore... :eek: )

The special effects in TNG was pretty far advanced for its time. I don't think we will notice much of a difference if it is re-mastered.

I actually think it would look ok, to an extent. They should just focus on season one and two episodes to be remastered, once they got new uniforms and switched styles of telling a story, it got much better.