Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Stop making idiot comments!

I am a broody woman. This means I want children. There are days though when I wonder if pregnancy and parenthood makes some women lose their marbles, tact and compassion towards the childless or even child free of us. This article says it all.

Article

My personal response to this article is thus;

Amen. The woman who said you shouldn't talk down to a child after her podling punched another woman, is absolutely wrong. being on a child's level actually helps them to engage better and not feel as though they are being threatened. The fact that the mother allowed her child to get away with anti-social behavior is appalling. The best thing she could have done is apologized to the woman who was punched and taken her child aside got on the child's level and told her off. If it is public so bloody be it, the kid will certainly remember it and how she felt at being told and shouldn't do it again.

I am sort of Pavlovian, but my parents did it and it was far more effective than smacking ever was to me. If I acted up in public my mum let me know that it was wrong. When I was older the threat was if you continue acting up I will tell your favorite aunt, that stopped me a lot

I know my mum certainly did that to me. According to that favorite Aunt of mine I was actually a really well behaved kid... thank god. I would hate to have any horror stories in the offering.

Asides from that the article says it all. I am fat I admit to that and I am actively doing something about it, but to have a woman say to me on the bus not long now indicating my stomach is kinda hurtful. I am not in a position to get pregnant. I have no partner, I have no Job I am a student, and my housing situation to me is precarious (scarily if I were pregnant it would guarantee housing but I refuse to bring a child into the world just to benefit from its presence. I want children. Not one, maybe two or more. I also want a supportive husband, or partner, who supports my decision to also adopt children.

People making comments is infuriating at best and downright painful at worst. People should be made aware of the small issue of tact, that what they can say has more impact than their apparently limited thought processes may be able to comprehend.

Oooh didn't mean to rant.

Which is fine. Rant away. And you have made valid points. People make stupid comments, 99.9% of the time, without thinking or knowing the facts.

I've seen it done and, in my younger, less wise than I am now days, I have done it. I regret it and try not to do it again. But sometimes, it's just human nature to say dumb things.

It truly is the nature of the beast.

I couldn't figure out if the author was trying to convince us or herself that she's happy in her chosen life.

I never had children - I was never in the situation to have them - ie I didn't have a father to offer them and a child should have two parents. I don't regret never being a single parent - it wouldn't have been good for anyone. But I'm not going to pretend not having children didn't leave a huge sadness. UA I hope someday your circumstances will be right.

And if only I had a dollar for all the stupid things people said to me -

Since I have been with and without children I have found people can ssssoooo annoying with their questions. When I was in my twenties people would ask me will I have any children. I had told them I am not ready to have any, and it would not fair to them if I did. Know that I had my first in my early thirties I here that people should not have babies at that age. I feel am very lucky with my son. He is always happy and only cries when he is hungry and needs a diaper change. If joy had a physical form my son is close to it. :biggrin:

Since I have my son I still find it annoying when parents bring their young children to the movies and very good restaurants at night.

If people have kids before they are ready those kids may turn out like this guy.

av-817.jpg

Poor Picard he can't win for trying.

Someone else did and I just agreed to it. :biggrin: I am surprised you didn't come up with it first.

Ange honey.

I would not let it bother me.

As i am almost 50 and never been married

i get you do like girls don't you.

God made stupid people for a reason

To give normal carning and giving people like us

a bar not to sink below

and to laugh at :biggrin:

Love you Hun.

Excellent article with lots of good points.

I strongly agree with the points about teaching children manners, and not bringing children to events where they really don't belong, especially movies meant for adults, and to restaurants later at night.

BTW, when I say partner in this topic, it means I don't see that I necessarily feel I have to be married. Not that6 I will be in a same sex relationship.