Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

MIT develops skintight, stylish spacesuits

MIT develops skintight, stylish spacesuits

Related Entries: Space

biosuit1-enlarged.jpg

Regular spacesuits don't give astronauts much range of motion, what with the huge bulk that their gas-pressurized nature require. People who travel through the cosmos in scifi shows and movies always have much cooler suits, ones that allow for all sorts of moving around. Well, it looks like that concept is moving away from the fiction side of things and right to the plain old science side.

A team at MIT has developed some totally awesome-looking, skintight spacesuits that remove all that bulk that astronauts need to deal with today. By getting rid of the gas-pressurized nature of the suits, they've created a sleek design that'll not only allow for a greater range of motion but also keep space travelers fit by providing resistance to motion. The suit uses mechanical counter-pressure rather than gas pressure, exerting force on the astronauts body to protect them from the vacuum of space. They hope to have it ready to roll in about 10 years, just in time for a manned mission to Mars. Totally awesome. — Adam Frucci

Via MIT

It could be Jeri Ryan in the suit, but there is something missing in the chest area. :biggrin: :laugh:

Why do I suspect this will either be Picard's next essay topic ... or his next "special" science project? :biggrin:

It could be Jeri Ryan in the suit, but there is something missing in the chest area. :biggrin: :laugh:

Why do I suspect this will either be Picard's next essay topic ... or his next "special" science project? :laugh:

What, the suit or Jeri Ryan's chest? :P

Why do I suspect this will either be Picard's next essay topic ... or his next "special" science project? :laugh:

What, the suit or Jeri Ryan's chest? :P

He could use both. :P

You people... Nevermind... Update on the paper is that I hope to have the draft posted by next week.