Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Harry Potter still a box-office charmer

I don't see this movie doing as well as the previous installments, in the long run. While the first one was quite light-hearted, and each one after got progressively darker, this one may prove to be too dark.

It's a good movie, don't get me wrong. I just saw it earlier today. But the problem I see is the cross-generational issue. The first book, and, likewise, the first movie, was aimed at younger audiences. As the series progressed, so did the target audience. While that may be fine for people who first read the book or saw the movie when they were younger, it poses a problem for individuals of other ages. Younger readers/viewers just first discovering Harry Potter will expect something that much more light-hearted, and as a result will be put off (or even horrified) at this much more mature movie. At the same same, more mature readers/viewers will expect something more mature, but at the same time some would've gone back to previous installments to refresh themselves, and be put off by the seemingly kiddish format they took, and as a result would decide to for-go this newest movie.

Have you followed the books? The books themselves got dark with each installment. Since the moves are based off the books they too got darker. The movies follow the procession of the books. You can't make a light heart movie based on a book that was not light heart itself. Most who go back and review the movie are normal not turned off by watch the more light heart first installment. Even the first movie, I would not actually called light hearted, led up to this current installment.

First the move is rated PG-13 so I would not call it a kids flick by any means. This will not parents bring the younger children who I have no doubt have already read the book several times before the current movie went in production. If the parents do not feel their children can't handle the movie most likely they will not see it.

Edited by Odie

Have you followed the books? The books themselves got dark with each installment. Since the moves are based off the books they too got darker. The movies follow the procession of the books. You can't make a light heart movie based on a book that was not light heart itself. Most who go back and review the movie are normal not turned off by watch the more light heart first installment. Even the first movie, I would not actually called light hearted, led up to this current installment.

First the move is rated PG-13 so I would not call it a kids flick by any means. This will not parents bring the younger children who I have no doubt have already read the book several times before the current movie went in production. If the parents do not feel their children can't handle the movie most likely they will not see it.

... :biggrin: No offense, but perhaps you should re-read my last post.

I did three times before I posted. It really does not make sense to complain about the movie being dark when it comes from book that is dark. If anyone who fellows Harry Potter already now this, and it should not be surprised to find the movie is dark. The first book had dark and series overtunes in it and is the reason I really do not call it light heart. If someone that is new to Harry Potter with young children should first read the book, and then the rest of series, before going to the theater. After all the movie has PG-13 rating for a reason.

I've never read the books nor have I seen the movies.

They just don't interest me.

DITTO!

DITTO!

Although, the author (JK Rowling) is pretty hot looking.rowling.jpg

DITTO!

Although, the author (JK Rowling) is pretty hot looking.rowling.jpg

THAT she is!... :biggrin:

Edited by Kor37

As a Children's (Youth Services) Librarian, I've read all the books and seen all the movies thus far. I just saw Oder of the Phoenix Saturday. The books do get progressively darker, as the main characters grow up. It is esentially a story of good versus evil. I have already discussed it with colleagues and the best summary came from one of their children, who said that the movie was taking an eight hour experience (reading the book) and compressing it into a two and a half hour film that had fine special effects but often compressed certain characters into very small portions of the story - Snape and Hermione for two examples. It seemed to me that there needed to be more exposition of character and dialogue - what they did with Daily Prophet (wizard) newspaper was quite effective, but they needed to give more backstory or details in some cases. Some kids don't go see the movies because scenes are cut out due to time limitations in a feature film.

That said I enjoyed the film. There were many solid performances and the characters that portrayed Luna Lovegood (I'm expecting a comment on that name :biggrin: ) and Delores Umbridge did perfect jobs bringing those characters to life. It is a dark book and the director made it his own (though some may quibble here and there). If you think this one is dark - wait until you see Half Blood Prince!!!

The first two movies were way too light in tone, probably due to the insipid director they had and Warner Bros. trying to attract VERY young children.

"The Prisoner Of Azkaban" finally got them on the right track.

Dark and sinister. The way they should be.

Edited by Lady Britannia

I did three times before I posted. It really does not make sense to complain about the movie being dark when it comes from book that is dark. If anyone who fellows Harry Potter already now this, and it should not be surprised to find the movie is dark. The first book had dark and series overtunes in it and is the reason I really do not call it light heart. If someone that is new to Harry Potter with young children should first read the book, and then the rest of series, before going to the theater. After all the movie has PG-13 rating for a reason.

Like I said, you need to re-read my previous post. I'm not complaining about how dark the movie is. (As a matter of fact, I prefer darker movies.) I was only saying that, because the books and movies get progressively darker, it will throw some fans off.

Like I said, you need to re-read my previous post. I'm not complaining about how dark the movie is. (As a matter of fact, I prefer darker movies.) I was only saying that, because the books and movies get progressively darker, it will throw some fans off.

You know what I have read your first post several times, and it has not changed how I view it. I see you complaining and that is all. Sorry I do not see the same thing as you intended. That is whole point. The books got progressively dark and movies in turn got dark. Sorry I do not see the problem.

Edited by Odie

You know what I have read your first post several times, and it has not changed how I view it. I see you complaining and that is all. Sorry I do not see the same thing as you intended. That is whole point. The books got progressively dark and movies in turn got dark. Sorry I do not see the problem.

But that's the thing. I'm not complaining. Period. I was only saying that I don't think The Order of the Phoenix will do as well as previous movie installments because some people will expect one thing, and other people will expect something else entirely. That's not complaining.

Why do you expect people would think they will see light-hearted film when the last one showed a kid killed in it?

I still think "Harry Potter" sounds like a urinal that hasn't been cleaned in a while/

I am so like not surprised. :biggrin: