Sign in to follow this  
Angela

In Memory Of... The London Bombings

On July 7th, 2005 four suicide bombers boarded three trains and one bus, and in a near simultaneous action exploded their devices killing 52 and injuring hundreds more. London's travel infrastructure ground to a halt, stranding millions of commuters miles from their homes. Whilst London has been blown up many times before, never had suicide terrorism been employed to cause such damage and injure and murder innocents. Londoners came together, drank beverages, called each other to check if everyone was okay, and tried to support those who had been affected. The following day we went back to work, in our office buildings and schools. We were not going to be left afraid.

Today, two years on, it is another sunny pleasant morning, much like the one marred by those bombers. Today we remember those that passed in such a cruel way, and we remember those hidden victims, the injured who still fight to receive satisfactory compensation and the families left behind, missing a person sized jigsaw piece, or left coping with a family member who is left with difficulties, both psychological and physical. Today we honour them.

As I went to a large public fest today in Chicago, my thoughts did include the tragedy in London two years ago. I did and do think of our UK members, and continue to hope any further tragedies there are averted, and hope that time will perhaps heal some (though never all) of the wounds of that dreadful day.