Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Would you share your food?

I really enjoyed watching Jericho this year - it made me think a lot. While the basis premise may be a bit far fetched some of the depictions of how people would respond to a crisis seemed frighteningly real.

It wouldn't necessarily take a major catastrophe to create a food shortage. If you've ever been in a grocery store when a hurricane is on the horizon you know how quickly shelves can get empty. Imagine if there was a severe gas shortage because of a hurricane hitting refineries this summer; most of our food is shipped across country so it wouldn't take long for shelves to get empty.

If you watched the show Jericho - and saw the finale you saw how extreme the possibilites could be over limited resources.

So, hypothetically, suppose there was a longer term crisis of a few months or more. Suppose you had a few extra jars of peanut butter etc - would you hand them out to a stranger, a neighbor, maybe a close friend or a relative. Conversely, would you steal food - even if it meant someone else's kid would starve to keep your kid alive?

What do you think?

I would share my food. With those who truly need it. Women and Children first.

I've never seen the show, but I bet here's what would happen with food. In the beginning, everyone starts sharing, like a normal community. But after awhile, some begin taking a bit extra, then everyone takes more to either compensate or as punishment. Things would spiral from there to outright stealing and killing for necessary items, like medicine and water.

I've never seen the show, but I bet here's what would happen with food. In the beginning, everyone starts sharing, like a normal community. But after awhile, some begin taking a bit extra, then everyone takes more to either compensate or as punishment. Things would spiral from there to outright stealing and killing for necessary items, like medicine and water.

Quite possible.

Kinda reminds me of my kids and grocery day. :P

I'd make sure my family was taken care of first before I would think about sharing.

I'd make sure my family was taken care of first before I would think about sharing.

Same here.

Agreed.

Agreed. In a long term food shortage or crisis, food equals survival. Ones family and self would come first. Hopefully hungry children would be taken care of by responsible, caring adults