Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Former Astronaut Wally Shirra Dies

Former Astronaut Wally Schirra Dies

AP

RANCHO SANTA FE, Calif. (May 3) - Astronaut Walter M. "Wally" Schirra Jr., one of the original Mercury Seven astronauts and the only man to fly on all three of NASA 's early space missions, has died, a NASA official confirmed Thursday. He was 84.

"We have spoken with his family and we can confirm he did die of natural causes. We hope to have a statement later today," Dave Stieitz, a NASA spokesman in Houston, told The Associated Press.

In 1962, Schirra became the third American to orbit the Earth, encircling the globe six times in a flight that lasted more than nine hours.

He returned to space three years later as commander of Gemini 6 and guided his two-man capsule toward Gemini 7, already in orbit. On Dec. 15, 1965, the two ships came within a few feet of each other as they shot through space, some 185 miles above the Earth. It was the first rendezvous of two spacecraft in orbit.

His third and final space flight in 1968 inaugurated the Apollo program that sought to land a man on the moon.

Godspeed to a true American hero... :assimilated:

I've lost one of my childhood heroes. I remember all of his flights.

He should have gotten the chance to walk on the moon.

For one of his last interviews, go to http://www.nasa.gov and click on multimedia and follow the links to the virtual interviews.

Schirra was an American hero. Only two of the original Mercury Astronauts are now still alive - John Glenn and Scott Carpenter.

Schirra was an American hero. Only two of the original Mercury Astronauts are now still alive - John Glenn and Scott Carpenter.

And both of them, including Schirra, have virtual interviews at the NASA Website.

It really is worth checking out. I have been watching them last night.