Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Abrams Confirms Kirk in 'Star Trek XI'

Original series icon will appear in upcoming relaunch, but longtime designer Zimmerman has been replaced.

By Michelle

April 18, 2007 - 10:09 PM

J.J. Abrams has confirmed that James T. Kirk will be a presence in the upcoming Star Trek feature film, but the look of the film may be quite different from its predecessors, as it will be without the design talents of Herman F. Zimmerman.

TrekMovie.com reported that Abrams told the new issue of Star Trek magazine, "James T Kirk appears in the movie." It has been widely assumed that this was the case since William Shatner (Kirk) reported discussions with the director-producer about who might take over the role, but this is the first time Abrams has gone on the record with that statement.

However, TrekMovie.com also noted that the eleventh Star Trek feature film will be the first since the era of The Next Generation not to have Zimmerman - who also worked on Deep Space Nine, Enterprise and numerous other Star Trek projects - on crew as the production designer.

"I am officially retired," said Zimmerman, who added that he has "enjoyed being the keeper of the flame as far as the look of the franchise since 1987...it is more fun than work." Zimmerman knew original series creator Gene Roddenberry and described himself as a childhood fan of the show.

On the hiring of Scott Chambliss to take over production designe, Zimmerman said it made sense for Abrams to choose someone he had worked with previously, and Chambliss, who designed Mission: Impossible III, obviously had the background.

"Those two icons of popular television literature and are being rediscovered, and Scott Chambliss has the opportunity to reinvent both of them," noted Zimmerman, who added that if it was up to him, the new franchise directors would leave the original series exterior designs largely as they are but give the interiors a "sprucing up", perhaps taking cues from the more realistic bridge of Enterprise's NX-01.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/180407_03.shtml

I just saw Shatner on the KTLA morning show, he spoke of appearing at a recent wrestling event, Boston Legal, traffic in LA and an upcoming charity horse show but no mention of appearing in Trek XI. :blink:

I just saw Shatner on the KTLA morning show, he spoke of appearing at a recent wrestling event, Boston Legal, traffic in LA and an upcoming charity horse show but no mention of appearing in Trek XI. :blink:

Maybe he's waiting until the deal is finalized before he makes any announcement.

I'm sure thats it. Its way too early in the process of announcing anything yet.

The news story said that Kirk was going to be in it, it made no mention of Shatner appearing in it. I honestly doubt Shatner will make a cameo in the movie.

the thing is, Shatner and Nimoy both have said that they would like to appear in the next film, if there was a role they like in it. I know it will be a cameo if they do get seen in the movie, but it would be interesting

the thing is, Shatner and Nimoy both have said that they would like to appear in the next film, if there was a role they like in it. I know it will be a cameo if they do get seen in the movie, but it would be interesting

I think, if anything, they'll both be in cameos either in the very beginning or the very end.

What I wouldn't get about Nimoy and Shatner being in the movie is that they'll look even older than they were in the show and the movies.