Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Boy Foils Coyote Attack On Baby Nephew

Boy Foils Coyote Attack on Baby Nephew

By WAYNE PARRY

AP

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (April 11) - Wildlife officials are investigating what could be the first coyote attack on a human in New Jersey following a backyard attack on a toddler that was foiled by an 11-year-old.

Playing in the back yard of his Middletown Township home with his 22-month-old nephew over the weekend, 11-year-old Ryan Palludan first thought the animal that bolted into the yard just before dark was a deer.

But when it grabbed little Liam Sadler in its jaws, Palludan instinctively sprang into action, yelling and kicking at the attacker which was later determined to be a coyote .

"It ran real fast, and in 10 seconds it was on Liam's back, biting the back of his head and his neck," Palludan said. "My dad and I chased it into the woods, and my sister got Liam inside.

"My dad turned to walk away and it came running back at him. I yelled, 'Dad, it's coming for you!' and he chased it away again. But it didn't go all the way into the woods," Palludan explained. "It was kind of staying on the edge. It wanted its food."

The toddler's grandfather, Philip Palludan, who he is familiar with coyotes having seen them out West, said the animal that attacked the toddler was about the size of a German shepherd.

Authorities were still looking for the animal Tuesday.

Township administrator Robert Czech said that while officials don't have independent confirmation, the attack on the toddler and the descriptions of a few other possible sightings may mean coyotes are lurking in nearby neighborhoods. The township is some 40 miles southwest of New York City.

Liam, who lives in Crestview, Fla., is undergoing a series of rabies shots as a precaution. He suffered bites on his head and neck, but is doing fine, relatives said.

Coyotes who venture into populated area have been in the news recently in other places. Last week, one sauntered into a Chicago sandwich restaurant through an open door, and plopped down inside a walk-in cooler filled with soda and juice before animal control officers removed it.

Wow! What a brave kid! Coyotes in Atlantic City?.. :dude: I'll be going there in July. I'll have to keep an eye out!

This is scary, especially when a small child is in danger. But coyotes are very adaptable, and have certainly been sighted here in the Chicagoland area recently. They are wild animals who will look for food, and unfortunately that could include pets and very small, helpless children. Adults need to be aware that even in their backyards, they need to watch children constantly.

My brothers and sister would tie meat around my neck, hoping that would bait the bears in. :dude:

This is scary, especially when a small child is in danger. But coyotes are very adaptable, and have certainly been sighted here in the Chicagoland area recently.

Yeah, we know. They like the Prime Rib and garlic bread sandwiches at Quiznos.

WOW whats going on they just

caught one here in downtown Detroit

tuesday. But are coyote was a music fan

was caught near the Hard Rock Cafe.

They were going to kill it. But public out cry

made them decide to take it up north

and release it.

I think more and more of this kind of thing is going to happen as we continue to cut down forests and encroach on these animal's (and others) territory.

But Chicago? Detroit? Atlantic City? These aren't exactly forest areas and haven't been for decades. I could see it if it was a remote suburb or something but not major metropolitan areas.

There are large forest preserve areas all along the edges of Chicago and near the suburbs. I just talked to someone whose friend lost a small dog in her yard to two coyotes a couple weeks ago in an unincorporated area near O'Hare airport. Coyotes are out there, they are highly adaptable to living near humans, and we need to adapt imo to the fact they live in our neighborhood now.

Kor is right - as we destory more habitat not just coyotes but many animals will be a threat.

Check out this - coyotes eat expensive "snacks" - ie endangered species returned to the wild

foxnews

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

The coyote they caught in Detroit was a good 10 miles

from any wooded area. She was right in downtown.

A block from Comerica park (Where the tigers play)

And Ford Field (Lions ).

And like the others She was less then 2 years old.

As Kor said as we destroy we endanger not only

Wildlife but ourselfs.

As we encrouch on there habitat they in turn do the same.

All they are trying to do is survive. can not blame them.