Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

26 Years ago today

elvogy_img_32848.jpgepe_img_34402_elvis.jpg

For those people that are fans of Elvis Presley, today is the marking of a sad day in history. It was 26 years ago today that Elvis died in Graceland in Memphis. I can still remember vividly where I was and what I was doing when the news came on TV. It was around 5pm, I was standing in my livingroom with my brothers. We had a visitor at the house that had just left and my parents were outside standing at the car saying goodbye. The news came on TV saying Elvis had died and I stopped everything and ran outside to tell my parents. We were all shocked.

I was only 8 years old in 1977 but I was then and am still now a huge Elvis fan. So much so that this site could have easily been called www.ELVISFANS.net lol

Elvis on the History Channel

My brother, only half-jokingly, says that that was the saddest day in history.

Seriously, it was one of the saddest days in entertainment history. I remember where I was - six years old, driving with my mother a couple of towns away from home, passing the railroad tracks, when it came on the radio. I can still point to the approximate place in the road where we were.

The King will always live on - and he'll always be the King!

I'm a bit older than both of you. I was working a part-time job trying to get through college. I remember how shocked I was when I heard the news from a co-worker. It was just so totally unexpected.

I remember it well, I had recently returned to the United States from Germany after serving in the Army there. I thought, wow! Elvis did the same thing as I,he joined the Army,went into an armor unit and served in Germany! I wonder if I'll become the next King of Rock and Roll?Guitar.gif

Well I didn'tSmokin.gif

I remember it well, I had recently returned to the United States from Germany after serving in the Army there. I thought, wow! Elvis did the same thing as I,he joined the Army,went into an armor unit and served in Germany! I wonder if I'll become the next King of Rock and Roll?Guitar.gif

Well I didn'tSmokin.gif

I was posted at Fort Hood for the majority of my time in the Army, Elvis was stationed there as well before he went to Germany. I went and saw the barracks he stayed in and the places he trained. He even donated money to build the Enlisted club on post, called "The Soldiers Dome".

I always thought it was cool that I was at the same post that Elvis served on. I also thought it was cool that Elvis served in the Army just like any non-famous person would. He could have had an easy life in the Army, had any assignment he wanted. But he refused that, he wouldn't sing for the generals when they asked and he insisted on being treated like any other soldier.

That alone showed his character.

The only thing I remember from that day(I was 5),was my brother sitting in his room crying like a baby.I didn't understand what had happened,though.I have the vaguest memory of my mother telling me that someone had died,and my asking if the person was related to us.As soon as I heard that he wasn't family,I just short of shrugged it off and went back to whatever it was I had been doing.I was never a big Elvis fan.He had an amazing voice and was very talented,and I love many of his gospel songs.But I don't own any of his albums or watch his films.My brother was and is the Elvis fan in the family. :bow: