Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Pi Day

Happy Pi Day everyone!

http://www.piday.org/index.php

Pi, Greek letter (pi), is the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. It is approximately 22/7 and is usually calculated to 3 digits, 3.14. With the use of computers, Pi has been calculated to over 1 trillion digits past the decimal. Pi is an irrational number meaning it will continue infinitely without repeating. The symbol for pi, pi, was first used in 1737 by William Jones, but was popular after it was adopted by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in 1737.

The Math Whiz Kids at another board that I am a mod on were going nuts over Pi Day yesterday.

Some of the posts in the "Pi Day" thread were crazy. One actually posted the entire number for Pi. :mad1:

I thought that there was no end to pi. It keeps going and going ad infinitum?

That's what I thought too. Apparently, I was mistaken. :mad1:

You would be correct. Pi, like the natural log base 'e', φ (Phi - the Golden ratio that is to say (( a+b )/a) = (a/:mad1: = φ), √(3), and √(2) is an irrational number, that is it can not be expressed as the fraction (a/:) of two integers a and b, where b != 0 .

This is not to be confused with the complex number (of which all reals - Both rational and irrational are a subset). a + bi Where a and b are reals, and i = √(-1). For all real numbers the value of b in the complex number it is a subset of is zero.

Edited by nerd359

You would be correct. Pi, like the natural log base 'e', φ (the Golden ratio that is to say (( a+b )/a) = (a/:mad1: = φ), √(3), and √(2) is an irrational number, that is it can not be expressed as the fraction (a/:) of two integers a and b, where b != 0 .

This is not to be confused with the complex number (of which all reals - Both rational and irrational are a subset). a + bi Where a and b are reals, and i = √(-1). For all real numbers the value of b in the complex number it is a subset of is zero.

Well, you're absolutely smarter than me. Math makes me crazy. I am horrible at it. And admittedly so.

Well, you're absolutely smarter than me. Math makes me crazy. I am horrible at it. And admittedly so.

As far as math goes, I'm actually only mid-level. I still have trouble with Eigenvectors and other Post-Calculus concepts. :mad1:

As far as math goes, I'm actually only mid-level. I still have trouble with Eigenvectors and other Post-Calculus concepts. :mad1:

Already, you've left me in the dust. :)

I started celebrating on March 14, 26 seconds after 1:59 AM

The bars close at 2 AM so it was a short celebration.

That celebration seems just about right for "Pi Day"..........