Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Would life mean anything without other people?

If you've been a scifi fan for many years you've probably at one time seen some program where there was a lone survivor (or maybe a handful) of some holocaust that wiped out humanity. The survivors then could have all the fancy clothes, jewelry cars etc that was left but would having lots of jewels mean anything if there weren't people to see?

IMO no, which begs the question then why do they mean anything when there are other people?

If you've been a scifi fan for many years you've probably at one time seen some program where there was a lone survivor (or maybe a handful) of some holocaust that wiped out humanity. The survivors then could have all the fancy clothes, jewelry cars etc that was left but would having lots of jewels mean anything if there weren't people to see?

IMO no, which begs the question then why do they mean anything when there are other people?

It's only lately that Americans have become excessively obsessed with having more than the neighbors...I'd say since post-world war 2. Even then some people are raised by their parents to practice restraint, and the words greed and envy are still bad words to some people.

Having more indicates social status in most human socieities. People want more status. Different possesions incidcate status. In the Masai tribe in Kenya, it used to be who had the most cattle.here people want expenxsive homes and cars.

Not me. I just want enough to live on and be able to save for retirement, which is about where I am.

I guess its all about keeping up with the Jones'. Many people enjoy being noticed and/or envied by other people.