Sign in to follow this  
Kyalia

Tachyons

Given that nothing can approach a tachyon (as I understand it), how could measurements involving them be taken?

I understand the send-a-message-to-the-past theoretical application, but what about measuring them in real time, no time travel involved? If they're tachyons (I might be misspelling that), then how could whatever you're using get close enough to measure them?

thats an interesting one, i'm puzzeled, but it could be the advancement of technology, like a specially modulate sensor beam...or if ships are involved, it could be that Starfleet Engineering has found a specific sheild modulation...anyone else?

Yes, I must agree. I am miffed by the tachyons in Star Trek as well. I know that they are theoretical particle-waves that actually travel faster than the speed of light. And yes, this theoretically possible for those of you who don't know much about theoretical physics, or any physics for that matter. You see, Einstein's equations only state that nothing can travel at the speed of light ( c ). Acoording to the equations, it is mathematically possible for things to travel faster than light, but if they do, they must always have been travelling at the speed because to accelerate from sub-light speed to faster than light speed the particle would have to travel at light speed which we know is impossible. Anyways, these theoretcial particles that travel at speeds greater that c would also have to travel thru time in the opposite direction. This explains why they usually have to do with time travel in Star Trek. But how on earth (or space) would Starfleet be able to measure these puppies. I don't understand it, but thats the great thing about Star Trek: it makes things possible that we can't, yet. For example, we could ask the same question of almost anything in Star Trek. For example: How do they use graviton particles (once again theoretical) to create anti-gravity deck plating, or how do they use anti-matter to warp space or how do they manage to transport an entire human being and control where each particle beams to? IT JUST CAN'T BE DONE, as far as we know. But we once believed the earth was flat, which wasn't a very long time ago!