061101_schrammie.jpg

Story Published: Jan 17, 2007 at 5:10 PM PST

Story Updated: Jan 17, 2007 at 6:50 PM PST

By Ken Schram

Watch the story

SEATTLE - No one knows your face.

No one knows your name.

But you know who you are.

This week's bobble-head is going out to all the dolts and dunderheads for whom snow and automobiles are an abominable combination.

So, if you're one of those who make winter driving even more miserable and more dangerous for everyone else, take a bow, 'cause this "Schrammie's" for you.

Now, if you're confused as to whether the shoe fits, here are some clues:

-Did you start heading home in the big snow thinking you might not make it, but figured what the heck, you'd just drive as far as you could and then simply abandon your car?

-Did you flip that SUV into 4 wheel drive only to find traction from a quartet of tires on icy roads is no better than just a pair?

-Did you skip class the day the physics teacher explained how objects in motion tend to stay in motion? Or did you just think being uber-courteous and stopping in the middle of an icy hill to let someone pull out of their driveway was the right thing to do?

-Do you drive too darn fast or too darn slow regardless of the road conditions?

Well, if you accept any of the above as identifying characteristics then I ask that at this point you please, stand and take a bow, 'cause this "Schrammie" is for you!

Have something to say to Ken? E-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com.

So, what do you think?

I agree with Ken wholeheartedly. The biggest obstacles on the road when it snows are the dolts that don't know how to drive in it.

One of my now-former drivers suggested outfitting Domino's cars with snow-plows. I suggested police-style brushracks so we could just push other cars out of the way. driving in the snow is dangerous, but even more so if you don't know what the hell you are doing. Don't let your ego get the better of you. If it looks unsafe to drive, you're right.

My significant other lived in Colorado many years ago and she remembers back to the time when if a big snowstorm was coming or blowing in, everybody stayed home or got the heck off the roads. Today, everyone either thinks they know everything (including how to drive in the snow), are ignorant about how unpredictable ice on the road is, or has seen too many commercials of vehicles blasting through snowdrifts and thinks everybody can do that!

Those damned commercials use Hollywood Snow. You can drive a Motorcycle through that stuff. my truck is fine in snow, as long as there's not ice under it. And, here's the thing about 4WD: It means you have power going to all 4 wheels. That's fine and dandy if you hit a small peice of ice, but if the entire road is icy, you might as well put some frickin' skis on that Explorer, cus you got ZERO traction. 4 wheel doesn't mean you have more traction, just means you have more wheels that have power. And if you're on ice, then 4 wheel drive is about as useful as a stormtrooper costume at a Star Trek convention.