Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Town's Police Will Drive Drunks Home

Town's Police Will Drive Drunks Home

AP

SHALIMAR, Fla. (Jan. 17) - Residents in this Panhandle town can call the police for a ride home if they have had too many drinks. The new service was posted in the town's online newsletter Jan. 2, according to the Northwest Florida Daily News. The Shalimar police will take residents who are too drunk to drive home from as far as 25 miles away.

"Some other people do the New Year's Eve thing and (the police) were talking, 'Why do it just on New Year's Eve?"' said Tom Burns, the town manager. "We've got the capability to do it probably year-round."

Residents who get stranded because of mechanical problems also can call for a ride.

Burns said the guidelines for the program are still loose and could be changed over time. He said police will have to use commonsense if someone seems to be taking advantage of the service.

Police Chief John E. Cash said he's heard other departments offering a similar service, at least during the holiday season.

"We're going above and beyond that," Cash said. "I don't think a lot of agencies do it."

Obviously, there isn't much crime in this town.......

hey. im drunk right now, so i figred this was the nost aqppropriote topic to post on. anyway, i am jsut graduaqted from AIT and am going to airborne school in about,jj well, they ship us out every thursday, but only if thieres open slots. i havent psoted here since i was fifteeen, but theres some guys that used to be in the army here so i fugired i would post. did anyone do baisc or AIT in flort leoanard wood missori? and was anyone a 21 bravo (used to be a 12 bravo) 21 boom boom, whoo hoo! ill post agian when i am sober. you might have to delete this one.

whoo hoo! ill post agian when i am sober. you might have to delete this one.

That's OK, I still remember my drunken engineer.

I had my Basic and AIT at Ft. Lost-in-the-Woods. This was in 1998. I was originally supposed to be what at the time was 43E (parachute rigger) but I broke my wrist in Basic during pugil stick training and lost my Airborne slot. You need to be Airborne to be a parachute rigger so I had to choose a new MOS. I chose 12B. I earned my E2 during AIT and became a squad leader.

My first duty assignment was at... Ft. Lost-in-the-Woods. 5th Engineer Battalion. Our motor pool was right across the street from my AIT and our barracks were close to the main AAFES store so I ran into both sets of drill sergeants constantly.

I was stationed in South Korea about a month before Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. The 5th ended up going but since Iraq got much of their chemical weapons technology from North Korea (including SCUDs) they decided to keep me there. I missed out on combat (which turned out to be a good thing but I didn't think so at the time) but I did get to patrol the DMZ with an infantry battalion our company was supporting. I got out as an E4 in 1991 The Army offered me E5 but I would have had to reenlist to qualify for PLDC and I wanted to start college.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

hey, Im not so inebriated anymore, since all my overseas buddy's shipped out and i had to report back to the barracks. i get to leave for airborne school tomorrow. its good to know that someone else is/was the exact same MOS as me and trained in the same place on the same courses i did. still not used to being able to use a computer.

My brother is an 11B, BA. He's with 3d BCT, 82d Airborne right now, kicking *buttocks* and chewin' bubblegum (but he forgot his bubblegum. Go figure) in the great big sandbox right now. He said Airborne school was totally, 1,010% kick-*buttocks*. Have fun!

By the way, I did my Advanced training (Military Police) at Ft. Lost-in-the-woods.

I never drink enough that I couldn't drive when I'm out. I always have a back up plan, like a few friends or my mom that I can call. If I've had more than two drinks in a short time, I don't drive.