Sign in to follow this  
MoulinRouge

Wicked captain, doomed affair, friendship & fate

The overwhelming negativity is tiresome beyond belief. I offer you the four components needed to make ENT a success next season and for years to come. Follow my advice and ENT will be winner. Continue to play it safe and drift into obscurity:

1.)Lose Captain boy scout. The killer bees seem to have caught on. I suggest they go a step further and kill little Martin Sunshine. Stomp him into the dust.

Place Jonathan Archer in morally ambiguous situations wherein he must make distasteful choices; don't let him off the hook with Kirk's convenient third alternatives. Give Archer his Kobyashi Maru and blur the lines more so than you have with any other captain and push that envelope. There's your real prequel man--a true captain of the 22nd century. Don't model him after George W. or Kofi Annan. Give him his own spin and gray that morality as much as possible. Shock the fans. The ones who cry for something different and then complain that this isn't "true noble Trek" cannot have it both ways. Wars were fought before there was peace in our world. We reap the benefits of others' sacrifice. Bad choices were made. Give pre-Federation history an unsettling flavor...a history that Archer's more noble descendants in the captain's chair weren't so quick to acknowledge. Fans have cried out for a humanity in transition. Fine. Give it to them and the hell with their crying about the "true essence of Trek."

Show us that Kirk, Picard, Janeway et.al wouldn't have had the luxury to take into consideration the inherent civil liberties of all if Jonathan Archer hadn't done the questionable things he did. Give ENT that sense of history. Give it a bigger picture. It's in desperate need of significance.

I'm not asking that Jon be morphed into a thoroughly unlikeable bastard but I do ask that you push the envelope and QUIT PLAYING IT SAFE WITH THIS CAPTAIN!!! He should be the most compelling character on screen. The writers needn't imply that Jonathan always does the right thing. On the contrary, please show him doing the wrong thing...and let him get some action for crying out loud. Bakula has the bod of Greek god. He's pushing 50 and he's an adonis. Shed the puritannical crapola that seems to infect the Reagan generation children. Show some skin and don't (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)foot around. Remind us that Jonathan Archer is an adult male with needs. Don't make him an unfeeling pig. Just show that he's human and that he desires physical contact once in a while. Keeping the boy scout will sink Trek. You've chosen the prequel route, PTB. Now honor that route. No more ANIS please. No more safety nets.

2.) It's time to see from where Sarek drew his inspiration. You've decided Blalock is your sex symbol, PTB. Fine. Present her as a Vulcan so courageous, so disciplined yet thrilling at the same time and so kick *buttocks* that she could melt the heart of a human who wears his heart on his sleeve.

That ain't Captain Archer. I've whined about this ship and that ship. I've proposed Malcolm/T'Pol, Trip/Hoshi (the idea of which I still adore) and even considered Archer and T'Pol briefly. However, I was once quite the ardent Trip/T'Poler. The killer bees seem to be drifting back in that direction. Perfect. CT and JB radiate a sense of longing and emotionally provocative neediness that is second to none. Take advantage of it. No sappy bull(I'm trying to say a bad word but can't). "Longing" is the word. Figure out what it means. Mike, Phyllis, you have some savvy in this area. Lock Rick and Brannon in the mens room when Beavis and Butthead's ghosts start to linger and tell the killer bees how it is. Trip and T'Pol aren't Lancelot and Guinevere reborn, not by a sight. They're Kirk and Marlena Moreau. Passionate. Combattive. Vulnerable. Doomed to fail by circumstance--only she's Kirk and he's Marlena. Trip and T'Pol are intensely male and female. Their gender defines them more than their Vulcan and human heritage. Take advantage of that smoldering sensuality in a way that adults can appreciate. Ignore Rick and Brannon when they're pounding on the door screaming to be let out.

Are T/T'P good for each other in a happily ever after forever way? Not very likely, thus the "doomed" in the affair. Perhaps "starcrossed" is a more apt description. Trip seems fated for his path to cross with an alien female. I don't remember which poster called T'Pol a closet thrill seeker, but she is. If she pulls Trip back from the brink of his depression about his sister that's a plausible bond upon which to build. Their mutual affection for Archer could be the ultimate tie that binds as both worry about his descent into whatever trouble and heartache is to come. Talk about a "big three" that would generate interest.

Start slooooooooowly. No ANIS retread. No Gidget and Moondoggy dialogue. Tease us. Did they or didn't they? Let's see some passion and not just of the physical variety. I never cared much about Will and Deanna because they were so dignified that they were practically morose. They didn't share the emotionally charged bond with Picard that Trip and T'Pol share with Archer. You've hinted at the affair, PTB. Make it real. Make it passionate. Don't play it safe, you demographic fanny kisser. Don't give us a few moments of Trip/T'Pol "tease" and be foolish enough to think that is sexy enough or passionate enough. It isn't. QUIT PLAYING IT SAFE! And keep what Beavis and Butthead would consider sexy out of the equation this time, please. No Pon Farr crap. Material that inspires teen boys to w***k off is what's sinking Trek. Some adult sexuality is desperately needed.

3.)Friendship. It has been ENT's saving grace. Trip and Archer's friendship is reminiscent of Kirk and Spock's. Test their bond as Archer descends into what is to come. Treat us to some complexity as Trip is shocked by his hero's decisions. Don't go so far as to let Trip hate Archer but knock the captain off the pedestal he's on in his chief engineer's eyes. STOP PLAYING IT SAFE! Let Trip get pissed off at his hero and vice versa, but never let go of the idea that Trip is Archer's Achilles' heel--the kid brother he never had. Tug the heartstrings. Let them fight. Let it get awful.

Let it last for more than one episode. What a concept.

Just because they love each other doesn't mean they have to like each other and please don't forget the other friendship that came off your pens quite by accident--Trip and Malcolm. They're pretty terrific, too. Keating and Trinneer's chemistry isn't easy to come by. One friendship strengthens and grows while the other fights to survive and changes in spite of itself. Juxtapose. Learn the meaning of the word.

4.)FATE.

For crying out loud create the feeling that events in the Expanse are bigger than the characters. Create a sense of fate, that history meant these people to endure such turmoil. DON'T PLAY IT SAFE! Kill off some crew. By all means, create the strangest most bizarre science fiction characters and happenings in the Expanse but not at the expense of the bigger picture. Drop us some hints that those nasty Romulans are involved in manipulating the Xindi because Future Guy is Romulan. Romulans aren't tiresome, Brannon. They tie ENT into Trek's future. God willing if you get renewed for season four they are your next arc waiting to happen. Have an arc. Have a plan. Create a launch point and a plausible ending that you want to happen in each arc and then fill in the gaps with character drama.

Also, for crying out loud write for John Billingsley. The actor is superb. He's gold. Let him treat Archer as his shrink, clash with the captain, bond with T'Pol, or have adventures with Hoshi. Toughen her up, too, please. Linda Park has potential. The UT is allowed to fail. Don't forget that Travis and Malcolm are also friends.

Just quit playing it safe. Please.

Wow, I loved what you had to say there, and I agree with almost all of it. I don't think that throwing a bunch of sexual scenes will help Star Trek, I think it would hurt it. I have heard alot of complaints about the sexuality in it already. IE crewmebers always in underwear and the detox chamber. I know people who wont watch the show because of it. As for everything else I totally agree! Archer needs to make some tough decisions. That is what made Picard so compelling! They do play it safe, and they need to stop a little. Good post! Lets just hope B and B see that!

wow.

that would make enterprise the much better. your are a true woman of words. maybe you should write for the show. lol. at least send the producers that as a letter.

but, one thing about the sexuality. i dont agree with it in star trek either, but people say its just enterprise. what about the deltans, who gene roddenberry created himself. they are a sexually active society and this was for a family type show. gene roddenberry had to write ilia in phase 2 and then tmp as one with an oath of celebacy to keep it family friendly. sure too much sexuality is a bad thing, but not a small amount. a small amount could just re-assert that these people ARE human and they ARE like us.

Show us that Kirk, Picard, Janeway et.al wouldn't have had the luxury to take into consideration the inherent civil liberties of all if Jonathan Archer hadn't done the questionable things he did. Give ENT that sense of history. Give it a bigger picture. It's in desperate need of significance.

agreed 100%!

The overwhelming negativity is tiresome beyond belief.

You mean all the dissing by the "fans", correct? I wonder if there is anything the B's could do to bring some disenchanted back into the fold.

1.)Lose Captain boy scout. The killer bees seem to have caught on. I suggest they go a step further and kill little Martin Sunshine. Stomp him into the dust.

I put up with Archer cause I rightfully understood the B's were doing an "evolution" with this character, giving him a wimpy start gives greater contrast to who he is going to become but yes, the time has come.

2.) It's time to see from where Sarek drew his inspiration. You've decided Blalock is your sex symbol, PTB. Fine. Present her as a Vulcan so courageous, so disciplined yet thrilling at the same time and so kick *buttocks* that she could melt the heart of a human who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Setting the sex aside the B's (or Balock herself) have for me, accomplished this. By keeping my eye's focused on her eye's I have seen a Vulcan like no other, her passion for doing more than her duty and making an effort to bridge the gap a hundred years of conflictive contact with Humans has caused me chill's. I love this Vulcan.

3.)Friendship. It has been ENT's saving grace. Trip and Archer's friendship is reminiscent of Kirk and Spock's. Test their bond as Archer descends into what is to come. Treat us to some complexity as Trip is shocked by his hero's decisions. Don't go so far as to let Trip hate Archer but knock the captain off the pedestal he's on in his chief engineer's eyes. STOP PLAYING IT SAFE! Let Trip get pissed off at his hero and vice versa, but never let go of the idea that Trip is Archer's Achilles' heel--the kid brother he never had. Tug the heartstrings. Let them fight. Let it get awful.

Again I agree and think the B's have so far been keeping it safe but that is about to change (or so help me...) and the contrast between what was and what will now be is gonna be striking! *rubs hands together in anticipation*

4.)FATE. For crying out loud create the feeling that events in the Expanse are bigger than the characters. Create a sense of fate, that history meant these people to endure such turmoil. DON'T PLAY IT SAFE! Kill off some crew. By all means, create the strangest most bizarre science fiction characters and happenings in the Expanse but not at the expense of the bigger picture. Drop us some hints that those nasty Romulans are involved in manipulating the Xindi because Future Guy is Romulan. Romulans aren't tiresome, Brannon. They tie ENT into Trek's future. God willing if you get renewed for season four they are your next arc waiting to happen. Have an arc. Have a plan. Create a launch point and a plausible ending that you want to happen in each arc and then fill in the gaps with character drama.

*PING! goes the sound of MoulinRouge's hammer as it drives the nail home*

Upon reflecting on the what I've seen of ENT so far I see the show as a 5 speed automobile, each year has been a different gear, the Expanse represented the pushing of the clutch and we are about to shift into 3rd. Introducing a sense of fate now would be proof to me they do have a plan, that the finger is no-where near the reset button. The aliens of the Expanse have me hooked, all the B's need do is reel me in by making it perfectly clear every thing we have seen so far is/has been connected to where we are going and I will be singing praises! (Btw, I feel any dissing on Brannon's part is a ploy, a ruse to keep the bashers bashing, the bashers opinions have no true meaning to tptb or impact on the plan, imo.)

Thank you MoulinRouge, an excellent post, reading and responding to it has been deeply satisfying!

:dude:

Stardate:213619.7

................WOW .....what more can i say!That post has left me damn near speachless!!You really should send that to B&B.Seriously.After the reaction that i had and everybody else had to that post i can imagine that B&B's reaction would be a good thing.I totally agree with you 1000% and wish i had your talent for words! B) Awsome post! :(

WOW!

TPTB NEED you as one of their writers! or at least as a plot outliner!

:laugh::laugh: :lol:

If only someone could convince them, Lt Riaan. If only. :laugh:

Whew. They'd better start writing Archer so that he exudes some presence. One can almost sense Bakula's frustration with how Archer has been written so far. What I'm afraid of is that TPTB will start running scared and playing it safe--again--and settle Archer back into friendly, naive, wimpy boy scout mode. He has to get a little mean and stay a little mean. Jon's problems and emotional struggle will provide the umbrella story for Trip and T'Pol to start turning to each other in an effort to help him, for Trip and Malcolm to get closer, for the Enterprise to get into ever more perilous situations and for intracrew conflict. Archer must stand out. It's past time that he did. :laugh:

Hear hear MoulinRouge!! I do, however, believe that some of the previous posters have misunderstood your original post. I don't beileve that you want more "sex scenes" in Enterprise i.e., two characters tearing each other's clothing off and "doing it." What I understood you to mean is that you would like to see some sexual tension. All of the characters, save one, are human. Human beings get lonely. These characters are on a starship in deep space with nobody but each other. Of course, the guys are going to "notice" the gals and vice versa. Make them more human, even though one of them isn't.

I am a loyal trek fan but I did stop watching Enterprise about half way through the first season. It was just too painful for me to watch. I have been reading some of the spoilers regarding season 3, and they intrigued me enough to start watching again when the season starts. I'm hoping the episodes are as intriguing as the spoilers. If not, I will once again stop watching.

I'm still waiting to see some sexual scenes on Enterprise! I saw more sexual themed episodes on Deep Space Nine! People running around in underwear does not make it sexual in my opinion. I think its funny when people talk about all the sex they see on Enterprise and I start to wonder if I'm seeing the same Enterprise they are! Its the one with Archer right? When I see something I find sexual I'll let you know!

Dio the commercials that run during Enterprise count? I've seen some pretty sexy Victoria Secret Ads during Enterprise! :laugh:

Here's my post from a thread in Ten Forward comparing romance on VOY to romance on ENT (non-existent)

TheUnicornHunter Posted: Aug 29 2003, 12:28 PM

There has been a lot of talk about whether there will be some romance in Enterprise involving T'Pol. I'm pretty sure that won't happen. That doesn't mean there won't be some sexual coupling or more steamy decon chamber scenes - but I'm convinced there won't be any romance. I don't think ENT writers understand the concept. I've always thought this but sort of clarified my ideas this morning watching a VOY episode "Someone to Watch Over Me"

First of all, I always thougth Robert Picardo was too underrated; I thought he was terrific in this episode which left me misty eyed by the way. I could feel his pain; even Tom felt it. I have found ENT's forays into attraction to be shallow and hormonal as opposed to genuine and emotional in comparison. 

I'm still waiting to see some sexual scenes on Enterprise! I saw more sexual themed episodes on Deep Space Nine! People running around in underwear does not make it sexual in my opinion. I think its funny when people talk about all the sex they see on Enterprise and I start to wonder if I'm seeing the same Enterprise they are! Its the one with Archer right? When I see something I find sexual I'll let you know!

Dio the commercials that run during Enterprise count? I've seen some pretty sexy Victoria Secret Ads during Enterprise!

I agree for the most part. Although there have been some pointless scenes in the decon chamber, Enterprise hasn't really had much sexual content, and certainly not to the point where it could be described as excessive. Yeah, there have been a couple of misguided episodes like "Precious Cargo" and "Bounty," but there are bound to be a few.

With regard to Moulin Rouge's ideas, I agree that Archer needs to toughen up, but I think he's started to already and is showing less patience with untrustworthy aliens. The one who really needs to toughen up and clue in is Hoshi. I really hope they do something with her this season or I'm afraid it's going to be too late. I'd hoped "Vanishing Point," the episode where she was trapped in the transporter but through that experience foiled the aliens trying to blow up Enterprise (or so she thought), would have given her more confidence and they would've shown her as a stronger character later, but she almost disappeared from the show after that and didn't play any important parts in any episodes after that (unless I've forgotten one).

The friendship thing doesn't have to get that strained and it's the engineer's duty to obey his captain, not to argue with him. They could make things tense, but I don't think all-out arguments are the way to go. I thought the way "Cogenitor" was handled built some good tension into their relationship and set some boundaries on where the line was drawn between the captain and engineer vs. friend and friend relationship.

Fate... What I'd like to see in the Expanse is having them link it back to the Romulans fairly quickly and not turning it into a war with the Xindi. It won't make much sense from a continuity point of view if the Xindi prove to have a major role in the history of the development of the Federation since we've never heard of them. Turn this whole Xindi thing into a plot concocted up by evil future guy, who many believe to be a Romulan anyway, and shift the focus onto their future archenemy. This trip into the Expanse doesn't have to be some big epic just because Archer's expecting it to be so; it just has to move the story forward. Sure, they could give us some interesting side stories in the Expanse that develop the characters, but I think it should be used to tie things back into the history that is expected to unfold.