Takara_Soong

Broncos Cornerback Darrent Williams Killed in Drive-by Shooting

Broncos, kin, fans hit hard by slaying

Probe of player's death focuses on SUV and witnesses in club, limo

By Kirk Mitchell and Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writers

DenverPost.com

Article Last Updated:01/02/2007 12:54:59 AM MST

The investigation into the shooting death of Broncos player Darrent Williams is focusing on a white sport utility vehicle and interviews with the group in Williams' limousine and those at the nightclub where he spent his last hours.

Police say they are trying to determine whether an altercation in the club, the Shelter, was linked to the shooting at West 11th Avenue and Speer Boulevard at 2 a.m. Monday.

A white Chevrolet Suburban or Tahoe pulled up next to the stretch Hummer limo, and someone in the SUV, which had tinted windows, peppered the Hummer with shots from a handgun, according to police.

One of the limo's windows was blown out, and the driver's side of the vehicle was pockmarked with 14 bullet holes. Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, who was also in the limo, was not hurt.

Williams was struck in the neck with a bullet, according to his agent Jeff Griffin, and was pronounced dead at Denver Health Medical Center. Broncos running back Tatum Bell said he heard from witnesses that Williams died instantly.

Two passengers were taken to St. Anthony Central Hospital with gunshot wounds. Brandon Flowers, who is not a member of the Broncos, was treated and released, police said. His age and hometown were not released.

Passenger Nicole Reindl, 21, does not have life-threatening injuries and could be released from St. Anthony within the next day or two.

Reached at his home in Lakewood on Monday night, Reindl's father said she was "fine" but wouldn't elaborate.

Williams' mother, Rosalind, arrived Monday morning from Fort Worth, where the football player grew up. She is staying at a local hotel, and some family members are staying at Williams' Parker home.

"He loved the Denver Broncos," Rosalind Williams said of her son. "He loved being part of the Broncos family. Even though he had a few bad games this year, he tried every game."

"I met with coach (Mike) Shanahan today," she said, "and he inspired me with his words. He told me God needed 'D' more than the rest of us."

Walker was seen at the Broncos' training complex Monday in what appeared to be blood-spattered clothes. He declined to talk to the press.

"Sounds to me that we were fortunate to have lost just one," a Broncos assistant coach said.

Williams, Walker, other Broncos and members of the Denver Nuggets basketball team were at the Shelter, 1037 Broadway, for a New Year's Eve party and a birthday celebration for Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin.

"Celebrate with the home team at the Safari New Year's Eve bash at The Shelter," a flier announcing the party said. "Denver Broncos Tatum Bell, D.J. Williams, Darrent Williams, and Brandon Marshall host the party along with Denver Nuggets J.R. Smith and DerMarr Johnson."

Martin said he and several other Nuggets players left the nightclub before midnight, before any problems arose.

"I was there. He was there. I left. I saw him. That was about the extent of it," Martin said Monday, referring to Darrent Williams. "It is what it is. It's an unfortunate thing."

There was a disagreement between two groups of people at the club, said Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson. The argument may have led to the shooting, but police are also investigating other possible motives.

An eyewitness, who had been at the party, told The Denver Post he saw Williams and Walker get into the limo with a group of people.

There was another exchange with someone outside the limo, and then someone - not Williams or Walker - got out and chased them down the street, said the eyewitness, who did not want to be named.

The limo took off up Speer Boulevard, where it was overtaken by the white SUV.

"It woke me up," said Tanya Dixon, who lives a few blocks from the shooting. "I heard seven or eight shots."

Bell, a close friend of Williams' and a former teammate at Oklahoma State University, was supposed to join Williams later at the Shelter.

"All I know is a guy drove up on him and started shooting," Bell said. "He was good people, man. He's got two kids. I just feel bad."

Denver police are searching for suspects, but no one is in custody, Jackson said.

The Hummer, owned by A Advantage Limousine Service, rents for $250 an hour on New Year's Eve, according to a spokesman for the company.

He said he could not comment about the shooting, at the request of the Police Department.

Williams, 24, was the Broncos' starting right cornerback and played in the 26-23 overtime loss to the San Francisco 49ers that ended Denver's season on New Year's Eve.

Neighbor Arlene Helmus saw Williams leaving home for the stadium Sunday morning, his bag in hand.

He warned her to be careful; the steps were slick.

"I said, 'You be careful. We need you,"' Helmus recalled Monday night. "He just laughed and said, 'You're right."'

The day before, Williams had helped neighbors shovel snow from their steps.

"I don't know that he ever knew my name," Helmus said, "but we'd see each other coming and going, and he was always friendly, always very nice."

She said she was devastated that such a polite young man had been killed.

Shanahan said he was speechless with sadness over Williams' death.

"We all know that Darrent was an excellent player, but as a person, he was a first-class young man who brightened every room with his smile, attitude and personality," he said. "I cannot express how heartsick I feel at this loss. All of our players and coaches are completely shocked by this terrible tragedy, and my deepest condolences go out to the entire Williams family."

The Broncos are expected to charter a plane for the team to go to Fort Worth for the funeral, which will probably be held Saturday. There may be some sort of service in Denver, as well.

Oklahoma State head football coach Mike Gundy said Williams' death was a huge loss to the school, where he played from 2001 to 2004.

"It's a loss that goes far beyond the football field," he said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, his teammates, the Denver organization and all of those in the OSU community he touched."

Staff writers Chris Dempsey, Joey Bunch, Jeremy P. Meyer and Christopher N. Osher contributed to this report.