Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Enterprise-B & Lokata

I was reading about these 2 ships on a site and it suggested this idea. What if the Enterprise-B was recommissioned, after some time, as the U.S.S. Lokata? This would explain why these 2 ships have the same appearance while all other Excelsior-class ships have the original look. Perhaps the Enterprise-B had special equipment becuase it was the "Enterprise" or soemthing?

What are your thoughts?

From production terms: the original Excelsior model was used over and over again in The Next Generation as different Excelsior class ships. For budget purposes and because of the ship seen on the wall of the ready room in TNG the Enterprise B had to be Excelsior class. The scene where the Nexus hits the hull of the ship and takes a big lump out of it required some damage to be incurred to the Excelsior model. The production crew didnt want this to hapen and so they built a big lump onto the base of the model. That way, it would be this lump that was smashed and not the actual model underneath. Subsequent episodes of DS9 used this new 'lump' added model because it made it look like later versions of the Excelsior class had this modification. And also, because the lump was there so they may as well have used it (those episodes of DS9 filmed after Generations)

I don't think he was asking about the production viewpoint... :laugh:

There is no way they would damage the actual model. When we see the ship get attacked the bolt of energy blasts a hole in the left fin. However, in the later scene, when we see the three guys looking at space from inside the ship, we see only a mangled area of the hull instead of a giant circular hole in the hull...Obviously they had a larger model or something just for the sole purpose of putting a big gash into it. The reason why the fins were added was so that they could have a giant gash in the ship without having the ship almost destroyed in the process. :laugh:

I don't think he was asking about the production viewpoint... :dude:

There is no way they would damage the actual model.  When we see the ship get attacked the bolt of energy blasts a hole in the left fin.  However, in the later scene, when we see the three guys looking at space from inside the ship, we see only a mangled area of the hull instead of a giant circular hole in the hull...Obviously they had a larger model or something just for the sole purpose of putting  a big gash into it.  The reason why the fins were added was so that they could have a giant gash in the ship without having the ship almost destroyed in the process. :bow:

I dont care what he was asking. Why do we have to be so accurately 'on topic'? And i did answer the original question: the ship in DS9 was one of the later variants after the Enterprise B. it's fun to drift and create a backstory though.. Also, i dont see what new point you are making....