Sign in to follow this  
Sam The Smuggler

Star Trek Movies

And for Data's fan, I beg you, don't look at any Star Trek movie in French.. This is painfull

eep! Never! My little brother was going to as a joke set the language to French and I screamed at him. He decided very wisely not to do that... very rarely does the voice work for the actor or actress...usually is scary. I mean sometimes it is good for a laugh...like Orlando Jones in the library scene of "The Time Machine"...I chuckle evreytime he says Live Long and Prosper in French....but is not very easy to take..

I didn't see any of the Star Trek films at the Cinema because it cost too much to get in,I just waited till they were available to buy and because it was Star Trek I had to buy them and so ended up watching them at home on T.V.

But there's nothing like the atmosphere in a theatre, seeing the movie with 100 other fans and watching it on that huge screen.

I remember when Capt. Kirk died the woman in front of me was crying, and I remember in ST III all of the laughs when the Klingon said to Kirk "You said you'd kill me" and Kirk replied "I lied". There's just nothing like being in the movies.

Well, the way I see it, if you have a hib screen TV, a nice set of speakers, and a DVD player, it's just as good as going to the theater.

It's not even close to the same thing and I'll tell you why. When the last Harry Potter film came out I happened to be in the cinema, watching something else of course. As I left the theatre I saw someone wearing a rather unusual looking trench coat. Upon closer inspection I realised that it was a replica of a Harry Potter coat. When the individual in question turned around I was stunned to see a 40 year-old plus man in full Harry Potter regalia, including a set of eyeglasses modelled on Harry's and a disturbingly similar haircut. The first word that sprung to mind was...

Click for Spoiler:

puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuthetic

I won't mention what the second and third words were for fear of offending the sensibilities of my fellow posters. You just can't see this kind of stuff at home. If you do, I suggest you reconsider your living arrangements or at the very least finding new cohabitants.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

Well, mostly I see the movies much later when they come out on video or are on network TV.

I cannot remember for sure, but I think I only saw the first two at the theater. I am almost certain that my sister and I were so mad when Spock died in TWOK that we did not go see the next one. I have seen them all now, except Nemesis, which I expect to rent soon.

Our experience at the theater seeing the ST: TMP was bittersweet. We were there with a huge crowd of Star Trek fans waiting to get into the theater. There were all kinds of people--it looked like the Star Trek universe; different types of people getting along, working together. It was packed--we were glad to get in, and took side by side seats, one on the aisle, as close to the front as we could get ( we were in about the middle of the theater). There we sat, waiting for everyone else to be seated and the show to begin, when one of the two white guys in front of us said to his companion, " Did you know that Leonard Nimoy was a Jew?" His tone of voice was one of disdain.

My sister and I were stunned, and our illusion that all Star Trek fans were like the Star Trek universe was immediately shattered. :dude:

However, the movie began shortly afterward, and the joy :clap: of new Star Trek for two TOS fans who had watched the original series on the air and had watched years of those reruns, transcended the shock of thoughtless racist remarks. But it never erased the memory of it, and kept me from foolishly thinking that Star Trek had actually reached all its fans. Some were impacted, others were not. My sister and I sat behind people who were not. But I loved the movie. And I still love the hopeful, inclusive future Star Trek portrayed then, and continues to portray.

(And as widely divergent as our views and perspectives are, I find STARTREFANS.NET very "Star Trek - like".)

I've seen all the Star Trek films at the drive-in...

we still have one near Springfield called the "Starlite"

I take my dad's pickup,drop the tailgate,spread a air mattress and watch the movies with my girlfriend...I love it :clap:

Sometimes gets kind of chilly,but then,my girlfriend is pretty good at heating things up! :lol:

I love the drive-in movies...I feel sorry for those of yall that don't have them anymore...

its a fading piece of americana... :dude:

:wow:

I remember the drive-in! We used to have them in Indiana! Different drive-ins had different lures to get families to choose them. One had a merry-go-round, and another had ponies! We children would always try to get our parents to go to one of those (who cared about the movie!)...and then we would try to get them to go early enough so that we could ride the ponies or ride the merry-go-round, and were those lines long! Ususally we made it through the first feature. But the parents pretty much had the second feature to themselves. Drive-in popcorn was the best!

I never saw any Star Trek movies there, however. I think they had pretty much gone out of business by the time the Star Trek movies were released.

A lot of the folks here have spotlights on their trucks,so the Starlite has these games on-screen before the show where you chase these little gremlin things with your spotlights...kind of dumb,I guess,but still a little fun,too...

The Starlite's main lure is the food...the snackbar sells a mean cheeseburger... :tear:

i agree that the big screen and surround system at home is GREAT, i LOVE MINE. sometimes its even better than the movies. BUT, AND THIS IS A BIG BUT, there is still nothing like the big screen for big movies. my experience for reaction to movies is mostly with starwars films, wow people flip for those, when ep I came out i went the first day they started with the pre sale of tickets, there were people in line when i drove by earlier in the day that had spent the night to get the tickets, and were haveing light saber battles on the sidewalk, it was hilarious, you sure dont see that at home. that and you can REEEAALLLYYYY get sucked into the movie on the big screen as if your really in it. so for the big movies i still go to the theatres, but for a lot of them i wait for my HOME THEATRE EXPERIENCE.

i agree that the big screen and surround system at home is GREAT,  i LOVE MINE. sometimes its even better than the movies. BUT, AND THIS IS A BIG BUT, there is still nothing like the big screen for big movies. my experience for reaction to movies is mostly with starwars films, wow people flip for those, when ep I came out i went the first day they started with the pre sale of tickets, there were people in line when i drove by earlier in the day that had spent the night to get the tickets, and were haveing light saber battles on the sidewalk, it was hilarious, you sure dont see that at home. that and you can REEEAALLLYYYY get sucked into the movie on the big screen as if your really in it. so for the big movies i still go to the theatres, but for a lot of them i wait for my HOME THEATRE EXPERIENCE.

i forgot to mention in this post, that i went later in the day, and didnt wait in any lines to buy my advance ticket, and still got it for opening day. while a lot of people sat in line for hours, or even overnight. NOW THATS FUNNY. :blink: