Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

T'Pal

My personal Log

My life is preety hectic right now as I am attending Graduate school in England. I had to move away from my husband and the USA to come but I must say the next year will be well worth the sacrifice. Here at university I am pursuing and MA in archaeology, mainly interested in the mesolithic and neolithic periods. The course is to teach the neseccary skills to become a proffessional archaeologist, so I can go on to do my passion and that is Human migrations into the Americas during the last Ice Age, focusing on paleoenvironments and the archaeological record. My first degree is Anthropology though, and I truly love studing the diverse cultures of the world and how Humans came to be from an evolutionary standpoint. Other than Archaeology, I am into astronomy, been an ameatuer astronomer for about 14 years now and for the past twenty a huge Sci-fi geek. Also am a computer and tech geek as well. Star Wars is my all time favorite Sci-Fi movie, and Star Trek, Stargate, and Doctor Who my favorite shows. It was Star Trek that made me into a Sci-Fi fan for life and now I officially call myself a Trekkie. For fun I am an outdoorsey person and love the occasional camping and hiking trip, also I am a newly certified SCUBA Diver and hope to do some diving here in England. Yeah I do cold water diving, just that hard-core. No time for my passions now, as I am swamped with essays and research but it is what I need to do and my husband and family supports me all the way. So thats alittle about my life right now, feel free to post comments and questions.

Wow. You certainly have a lot on your plate. Thats a facinating field of study you are doing. Good luck with it!

Wow! That does sound like a hectic schedule.

I've always been fascinated by archeology and ancient cultures. I took a vacation about five years ago to Newfoundland and briefly visited several sites being studied there: a couple English sites, an ancient Indian site and a Basque fishing site, Red Bay I think in Labrador. When I went to Ireland we stopped at Newgrange and in England we visited Stonehenge and Avebury. Will you get to go to either of those or other sites while in England?

A couple years ago I went to Cahokia Mounds, which was interesting too.

Please keep us up to date on what you're up to. Take care!

Yes I plan to visit sites here, I have already been to see prehistoric burial mounds and a castle remenant. I only plan to visit Stonehenge if I go as a n archaeologist and not a tourist. It isn't worth it if I cannot stand in the circle of stones. I would like to also go to Durrington walls, a henge next to stonehenge, but for now I already have plans to go to the Neolithic site of Thornburgh. In the past I have visited Casa Grande, Arizona and the cliff dwellings in New Mexico. Someday though I will get to the bigger known monuments of the world, but for now the biggest task for us archaeologists is protecting these cultural treasures for future generations.

I have not been around on the site much over the last few weeks, because of so many essays I have been writing. Christmas break was a great time to get lots of work done so i happy about that. I found a new passion in archaeology and that is saving cultural heritage, in another words protecting sites and monuments as well as artifacts from destruction, looting and the illicit trade through education and monitoring of high risk sites.

Been having a rough time right now with an incident involving a friend, however, it has been taken care of and life is returning to normal. My husband is coming this spring for a visit, I'm so happy. thats all for now, hope to be more of a presence here.

I hope you have more of a presence here as well. Your posts so far have been very interesting. It sounds like you have a long distance marriage of some sort. Thats too bad. However, if it works for you then thats all thats important.