Sign in to follow this  
Syperphobia

Self-Destruct Enterprise?

Would you like for somewhere in the ENTERPRISE series that Archer HAS to do a self-destruct?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like for somewhere in the ENTERPRISE series that Archer HAS to do a self-destruct?

• Yes
    • No

Let's say that Archer is being chased by Xindi, and the ship is litterally getting blown to bits, Archer's best alternative is to destroy ENTERPRISE. The rest of the crew is safely in escape pods, even his core crew members. Should Archer blow up ENTERPRISE allowing maximum damage to go to Xindi, or should a captain fall with his ship?

Note: Back at Starfleet there is a back-up spaceship which is collecting the escape pods, with a Vulcan fleet. The question still remains, should Archer do a self-destruct even if knowing that help might not arrive in time?

Click for Spoiler:

I would like it for the excitment and the drama that ENT needs. It would leave me breathless.

<_< Have you lost all sense of reality? :lol: kidding.

No, I would not like seeing the ENT NX-O1 blown to bits, that would contradict canon, specifically what Riker said: Fate. Protects fools, (Would that be Archer?) little children and ships named Enterprise. Ok given the scenario you spelled out that would be a valid option. :lol: but I still voted no.

Nope.What would be the point?The series writers are doing a fine job of hitting that self-destruct button all by themselves,hehehehe....I'm sorry.I shouldn't have even posted.Okay,I'll leave yall Ent fans alone now(really,I apologize).I just can't help yankin' your chains once in a while. :lol:(especially Cap'n Picard's). <_<

We've seen the Enterprise destroyed via self desctruct once before in the ST-3, however, if they did it right on ENT, it could work.

Since the series is named after the ship, we'd have a bit of a problem here.

How about this: NX-05 ENTERPRISE

Same name, different registry number. The A, B, C, D tradition wouldn't start till Kirk sacrifices his career and ship all to save a friend, then risks his life to save Earth on the way home. Of coarse they're gonna give him another Enterprise! <_< After what he did in ST-6, I guess they just decided to keep making Enterprises. :lol:

If the Enterprise were destroyed, it's far more likely that Archer and crew would just be reassigned to the newest NX-class ship and far less likely that it'd be re-named Enterprise. Then the name wouldn't fit.

Eh, save your idea for the series finale. They allways want a new ship for the movies anyway. :lol:

I would prefer that Enterprise does not get destroyed during any part of the series. First off, Enterprise doesn't even have a self destruct system. I would like them to be forced to invent one with the plan of using it, but decide not to at the last moment like all other trek shows. I have a feeling that an Enterprise movie will be made. Afterall, the UFP is formed only ten years (2161) after the lauch of Enterprise (this is canon) in 2151. Thus, assuming the show makes a 7 year run, they could do a movie invloving the Enterprises role in the creation of the Federation. I would not mind if the had to self destruct in the movie if there happens to be one. My reason being is that I think it deserves one movie, and one movie alone.

If the Enterprise were destroyed, it's far more likely that Archer and crew would just be reassigned to the newest NX-class ship and far less likely that it'd be re-named Enterprise.  Then the name wouldn't fit.

You have a point.Its far too early in her voyages for this Enterprise to have destinguished itself enough,yet,to merit either the immediate relaunch of another ship of that name(if she is destroyed),or the A,B,C,D thing.Maybe in a few more years,or after a few more discoveries.

I would hope that the writers can come up with more original thinking. How many times have they pulled the Auto Destruct out in the past?

Yep! I totally agree

This would be a very bad idea. Destroying the NX-01, the first Warp 5 Starship..They would have to change the name of the show..They would get a differently named ship..No more Enterprise..And I agree that the Self-Destruct ploy has been used enough in Star Trek..Time to discover a different way to generate excitement..

This would be a very bad idea. Destroying the NX-01, the first Warp 5 Starship..They would have to change the name of the show..They would get a differently named ship..No more Enterprise..And I agree that the Self-Destruct ploy has been used enough in Star Trek..Time to discover a different way to generate excitement..

like a new series?

soz, bout last post, find my new section entitled "My Ego" somewhere...

I hate when they always pull the Auto-Destruct stunt and at the last moment they call it off. COME ON ALREADY, I just would like too see them actually use it, and then they can have a new model of ENT. We have seen so many new model ships of TNG, why not with ENT??

Actually, TNG only featured one Enterprise. So far, there's been a total of 7 Enterprises.

NX-01 Enterprise - ENT

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 - TOS & Movies 1-3

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A - Movies 4-6

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-B - Movie #7

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-C - TNG's "Yesterday's Enterprise"

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D - TNG & Movie #7

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E - Movies 8-10

Basically, Kirk saved Earth from imminent destruction, so Starfleet gave him a 2nd Enterprise. With that ship's final mission, he prevented war with the Klingons and helped preserve peace with the empire. As a result, Starfleet decided to keep rebuilding the Enterprise with their top-of-the-line design when the current one got decommissioned or destroyed.

Hope that helps clear up confussion. <_<

I hate when they always pull the Auto-Destruct stunt and at the last moment they call it off. COME ON ALREADY, I just would like too see them actually use it, and then they can have a new model of ENT. We have seen so many new model ships of TNG, why not with ENT??

<_< Interesting, I see now how the destruction of the NX-O1 could serve as a springboard to introducing the next class of ship which hopefully would begin to look a little closer to the 1701 in design but right now is too soon for that imo.

I believe that this would not lead to the end of the series, but will eventually bring an intresting creative approach for writers to expand their ideas.

I agree that destroying the ENT could be done, maybe not yet, to create excitement.. However I voted NO in this poll since the auto-destruct has been done over, and over, and over, and over again!

Star Trek III... Can't we get a little a more creative then Archer blowing up the Enterprise? I know that in the 3rd movie it was a impressive and shocking turn of events but now it's not. We've seen the Defiant destroyed in battle and now it's just another reused idea. What would be better would be to see the spec ops team stay behind in R&D center and destroy it only when Archer is safely away on his way back home. Now after the R&D center is blown up it's realistic to figure that Archer is going to need to fight his way out of the Delphic Expanse. The Xindi can't not take the chance of letting the Earth's Government realize they succeed. Nor, can the Xindi let Archer return with potentialy all the technology required to build the same weapon for Earth to use on the Xindi now in the 22nd... To me that has far more potential then Archer just blowing up the Enterprise in some last ditch effort. Remember escape pods are vunerable and could easily be destroyed long before any Earth ship or allied vessel reachs them.