Sign in to follow this  
MrPsychic

Gojira Special Edition

THis two disk special edition just came out the 5th of Sept. Included is both the original 1954 Gojira (Godzilla) and 1956 Americanized Godzilla: King of the Monsters. This is the first time ever the original version of it was released, and I must tell you that it's breathtakingly different. So much better, so much more of a horror movie dealing with not just Godzilla, but with war and atomic weapons. I highly recommend any Godzilla fan go out and get it.

My review

From the opening credits with only Godzilla's roar, I knew that this wasn't going to be the same as the American version I have seen all of the years I have been a fan of Godzilla. Just from the beginning, it gave a really dark presence and sets up the viewer perfectly and lets us know that we are about to see something very serious and nothing to laugh about.

The story is in one word, incredible. The tone is dark and the images and the messages used are a constant reminder of how terrifying and monstrous Godzilla is to these people in this movie. There are many scenes that are in this original version that were left out of the American version that really left some images engraved in my mind. One of the most chilling scenes is when Godzilla is attacking Japan, a woman and her children are huddled together in fear and the mother is saying to her children "Don't worry, we will be together soon with daddy". Meaning that they would soon be in Heaven. There are many other scenes like that one.

Many, many things are finally restored in this movie that was left out of the American version. There is such a difference between the two versions; the Japanese story is almost completely different from the American one. The DVD box that this film is in is amazing in itself; it opens up like a book and is also hardcover as if it were a book. It comes with the American and Japanese versions of the film so you can compare the two. It also has a 16 page book as well! Overall, this is a have to have for those who have never seen the original version. It is simply amazing and it will give you a new look on Godzilla.

Well-

I never thought I'd be agreeing with Gamera about anything...but I must say that I have very much enjoyed the new release of Godzilla (Gojira) on DVD. The symbolism is a bit heavy handed, but then this film was made less then ten years after the US dropped two atomic bombs on Japan...and that is what Godzilla really is- a metaphor for the bomb. This probably seems lost on modern audiences given that such symbolism has since been abandoned. In the recent Godzilla: Final Wars, it seems evident that Godzilla now represents the wrath of nature itself. Godzilla is now best understood in the context of a hurricane or an earthquake. That is why anything that fights Godzilla gets destroyed, and Godzilla has no real sense of "good" or "evil".

This is of course very different from that other big japanese star, Ultraman, who always fights for good even if he only has three minutes to do it it. :nono:

I've personally wanted to get Godzilla vs Destroyah on DVD for awhile now. I've seen it on tv, but to have it would be awesome.

I've personally wanted to get Godzilla vs Destroyah on DVD for awhile now. I've seen it on tv, but to have it would be awesome.

It was on DVD in a two-for-one deal with Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla but that was a few years ago...it might still be avalable through order at Amazon or Borders Books. It's only in English though...no Japanese language option. :)

I have also seen it recently at Suncoast if you have one close to where you live. But, you could find it cheaper on the internet as Validus has suggested.

They also releasing Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla vs. the Thing (Godzilla vs. Mothra) on a two disc set like this with the American and Japanese versions as well

Godzilla Raids Again & Godzilla vs. Mothra (the second and third Godzilla films ever made) are coming to DVD with both US and Japanese versions on November 8th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw Validus, but in my opinion, they're nowhere as good as the original one. Godzilla Raids Again introduces Anguilas though.

It was on DVD in a two-for-one deal with Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla but that was a few years ago...it might still be avalable through order at Amazon or Borders Books. It's only in English though...no Japanese language option. :frusty:

Yea, it's still available. It's the only release of that movie. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it cheap anywhere...

Thanks all, but I ended up getting it at Suncoast, it was only 19.99 and I got it faster than paying for shipping. Godzilla vs Destroyah has the second best death scene in it behind the original one.