Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

VOY didn't make the Borg weak...

But if Starfleet found a way to take out one of the 5 cubes then they could use the same method to take out the other 4 - so long as they did it quick enough to prevent Borg adaptation.

Also, remember that Guinan predicted there might be a time in the future when we could cooperate with the Borg. It just happened in a way we didn't predict.

Perhaps, if the Federation were to have come en masse into their 'soverign space', then, Wolf 359 would be a blip on a sensor screen! This is an occaision when not having a superior ftl technology saved the two quadrants-literally-i.e.,transwarp-not that Kathryn and co. didn't try to obtain same from the Collective. Thank goodness all that territory stands between the UFP and the Borg...out of sight, out of mind...more or less. But, eventually, the brilliant minds in R and D-or one of those often even-more clever Chifs out there in the Fleet, is going to unlock the secrets of tw, or even slipstream....and after Voyager, the temptation-Borg or not-the human(oid) need to 'boldly go', will see new ships going there....

Just another thought...when Jean-Luc and co. first encountered the Borg, they were a complete mystery(discounting the Hansens' research, which never reached UFP ears) ...and it's a logical thing, in that, as a mystery, the Collective was by that nature more terrifying,and intimidating-not to negate their power at all-but, this deficit of understanding always invites fear, and extreme wariness-the former of which the Borg engender so well. With every encounter-and, yes, through Seven's insider knowledge, the Collective went from this supremely powerful enigma from farspace, to an enemy, that, while no less dangerous, particularly for a single starship, had a different face, of a sort. Anyway...something to ponder.

But if Starfleet found a way to take out one of the 5 cubes then they could use the same method to take out the other 4 - so long as they did it quick enough to prevent Borg adaptation.

Also, remember that Guinan predicted there might be a time in the future when we could cooperate with the Borg. It just happened in a way we didn't predict.

well that's the question then isn't it....what does it take to take out just one borg cube? From what we've seen, it takes either technology from the future, the collected fire power of every ship in starfleet, someone who can hear the hive mind and pinpoint their weak spot, or a borg cube that was weakened to begin with

are any of those things something that could be repeated on 4 more cubes? maybe one or two more I think but that's it

I never though VOY weakened the Borg. I mean sure, the Borg threat was diminished by the VOY crew over time but isn't that a good thing?

Breaking down an enemy and causing circumstances in which an enemy may someday become an ally is one Treks core values imo.

WOW...the Borg, an ally? Never thought of that!To quote good ,ol Data, ''Intriguing'' I admit, I am someone who loves to see enemies become allies...and Gene himself along with others made an efort to show that ''we CAN all get along''...eventually. Well...sometimes more successfully in the fictional world. Having such a powerful ally would HUGELY alter the face of a tremendous volume of space...if the Collective had no 'Prime Directive' a la tech-sharing of their own...Well, maybe it all could take place-but not without difficulty, and some sort of culture-altering event, on a grand scale, as in the Voyager ep ''Unity'' Okay, Riley, you've got your work cut out for you....

I don't think the borg could evey be an ally...it would not make sense for them to do so

Oh, RIGHT!!! Forgot them!Shame on this Voyager fan!Must be those darn nanoprobes I found plastered to my face when I woke up from a nap... MUST RE-SIST..aarrrgh!!! Somebody call the Doctor!!!(Yep-LOVE that fluidic-space race!)

Star Trek VOY made the Borg too strong. First time Voyager really runs into them they meet fifteen cubes. In the later seasons we find out that the Borg have some sort of transwarp stargates that allows them to send x number of ships almost anywhere. And yet they never senn more that one at a time to conquer the federation.

That is how Star Trek VOY gave the borg a bad reputation. They made them so strong they had to be utterly stupid to allow for any sort of continuity. Another problem Voyager had was that borg were becoming familiar. Unless they just wanted to remake old TNG episodes they had to make the Borg less menacing.

One thing I did like about the Borg in Voyager was that they picked up the queen from First Contact. Kind of neat to see her stretching her limbs after beeing put together.

Any villan that is seen over and over again will eventually become less threatening. That's just the nature of science fiction.

However, there is a possible explanation for why the Borg don't seem to send masses of ships to the Federation.

The ship that the Enterprise-D encountered in Q-Who? is the same ship they encountered in Best of Both Worlds. This has already been speculated by fans and it seems logical.

In Descent we see that stupid Lore-led group using transwarp, which means the collective knows about transwarp, but perhaps it is limited to single ships or small groups of ships.

The next time we see the Borg in a threatening capacity is First Contact. This ship is slightly more advanced than the Q-Who / Best of Both Worlds cube since more time has passed and the Borg have assimilated a few more species and their technology. They certainly know how to go back in time. They only sent one of these slightly more advanced cubes because they thought that was all they needed. Or perhaps they are already contemplating war with 8472 and a single ship is all they can spare.

How do we know this new cube is more advanced? They now have the ability to launch a sphere from the ship that can go back in time. They probably have a faster propultion system. Remember, the Q Who / Best of Both Worlds cube was first launched either when the collective received the 22nd century message from the Alpha Quadrant or when they discovered the Hansons. They probably sent the First Contact cube as soon as this first cube was destroyed. This 2nd cube covered the same distance in about 6 years (according to Picard's log entry) whereas the first cube must have taken a lot longer.

By the time of Endgame they have a fully-developed system of transwarp hubs which function pretty much as airports. We still see only single ships enter the Alpha quadrant at a time but they could probably send more if they wanted. However, perhaps they are still recovering from the war with 8472 which is why they hadn't began another invasion yet.