Sign in to follow this  
Mike

The Urge to Smoke

I don't know why but lately I've been getting this strong urge to smoke. I am an ex cigarette smoker and I certainly don't want to get hooked on cigarettes again..I haven't smoked in 10 years..What's my alternative besides just puting up with the cravings? I've never been a fan of cigars..I have found a site on the internet that sells 'Herbal Smoke' and I've been considering trying it. What do you think? I must wonder if there is some addicting quality to them..I guess I won't know until I try..

I've also been considering MJ as I used to be a big pot smoker..But that just seems crazy and dangerous..

Herbal Smoke Shops

Have you been under extra stress lately ST? Fortunately I never got hooked on cigarettes so I can't really understand the experience. From what I understand it's an incredibly strong addiction and willpower may be your only recourse.

I would be leery of anything "herbal" some herbals contain dangerous substances - they only difference is they aren't regulated which means they haven't been really researched. After all, tobacco is an herb - I hear it is great to use as a poultice on injuries.

I am resisting TUH and I'm sure I'll be able to stay smoke-free..I just haven't had an urge this strong in a long long time..It'll pass I'm sure..I have been going thru alot of family stress lately, that may be where all this is coming from..

SpaceTigger, the imagination is always more stronger than the willpower, it will take a lot to actually smoke again. Try get something to distract you. My friend has quitted and started many times, she distracts herself by holding lolly sticks :laugh: or sucking on lollies. She pratted about with a dummy dipped in WKD one day

I am a smoker who wants to quit, atm I'm trying to quit smoking outside work during breaks, it's REALLY hard because work is stressful.

I used to be a heavy pot smoker, now it's rare, though I still enjoy it.

I'm trying to quit. Sadly, when I drink it doesn't help much. But when I'm not drinking, I keep myself occupied. For one, lately I've been playing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Very addictive game. I've had it for barely over a week, and I've already logged over 75 hours on it! But while I play it, even if I'm drinking, I drink much slower. (One can of beer will last close to two hours.) And smoking? About four hours between cigarettes. (I only smoke outside, I refuse to smoke inside.) So the game keeps me distracted from the urges. A good book will also have the same effect. Also, I'm currently working on a story, which seems to distract me even more.

The key element seems to be distraction. If I'm doing something which has my full attention, I'm less likely to want to smoke (or drink).

So I suggest finding yourself a really good game. Or book. Or making something that you're really interrested in.

Yeah I can smoke upto 40 on a night out.

Normally smoke upto 5 a day.

I don't know if the herbal smoke would be any less troublesome as just smoking the usual things. I hope you continue to stick it out. I think smoking anything will just be a roundabout path back to cigarettes.

For the first three months of this year, I had absolutely no desserts, not even diabetic ones. My blood sugars were pretty good, and I did not even miss the dessert. Then I attended a wedding, and ate a couple of pieces of wedding cake. So I am back to eating desserts. My blood sugar is slightly elevated because of it, even though I only eat them moderately and am taking my medication.

My point is that I know I can live without the desserts, but it is hard to chose to. I would still be not eating them, if I had just kept up with what I had been doing at the start of the year.