Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain V.

Captain V. Log

:laugh:

This is my first day joining. I thought I would see some people in the chat no one was there. So, I figure this is a good way to talk to people. I've noticed that Star Trek is in a down time now. I think it might pick up a little in August with the new magazine.

P.S. TOS/STNG (Kirk/Riker) ST VI/Nemesis

Happy Fourth of July, Captain V! Glad to see you here. Our Chat room can be really quiet here. Hopefully you can find someone in chat one of the next times you visit.

You should have been here a few years ago when our chatroom was at its peak- mods then were able to be invisible but still post, oh the hilarity of chatter reactions when the 'gods' spoke! :laugh: New upgrades to the room took away that ability and all the fun imo. :laugh:

Anyway welcome to the boards and the Logs forum.

Hello Again,

I hope there is some way to make the chat area more user friendly. Unfortunately, I can't recommend anything; as I'm not great with computers.

On a side note I was watching TOS: "Balance of Terror" today and noticed that when Kirk had them use Phasers it was photon torpedos instead. This is still one of my favorites. Of coarse I notice Mark Lenard (who played Sarek) He was referred to as Commander. I don't believe he has a name but someone out there probably knows if he has one.

I'm no expert on computers and chat either, but imo the more users on the chat, the more friendly is it! :laugh:

I saw Balance of Terror today to on the ST marathon. Mark Lenard's character seemed to just be called the Romulan Commander. The character Decius, played by Lawrence Montaigne, also starred in TOS Amok Time as Stonn. Amok Time was also shown on the marathon, as was Mirror, Mirror; Space Seed, and A Piece of the Action. This explains why I didn't get much done today!

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I do find these things interesting. I think I will purchase my first STNG DVD set today or tommorrow. I'm not really sure if I should start with the 1'st season or not. I really didn't get into STNG until season 3. Maybe, it's the uniforms that bother me in the first two :laugh: . Also, if any one knows of conventions coming to MA (USA); please let me know.

I picked of the 1'st season of STNG yesterday. I figured I'll start in order for collecting purposes. I'm finishing up season 1 of TOS. I really used to love Kirk; but the prime directive goes out the window so much it's funny. Today, I was watching: "The City on the Edge of Forever". The Joan Collins one. Any way, the crew loses use of there communicators and the Enterprise no longer exists; but Spocks tricorder still works. (Go figure). It's still a good episode. I'll start STNG season 1 tonight.

Good point about the tricorder. It must have run on everready batteries! :laugh: That's one of my favorite TOS episodes. Other favorites of mine from season 1 of TOS include Space Seed, Devil in the Dark, Shore Leave, The Menagerie, The Squire of Gothos, and Balance of Terror.

I'll be interested in what you think about season 1 of TNG.

Thanks for the reply. I to like all of those: "Shore Leave" is extremely underated. I just finished the last disc 7 which has a last episode: "Operation-Annihilate". That's the one with the leach like aliens (name escapes me. You can help me out) annihilate a colony and one gets on Spocks back. Great episode.

The last disc also contains a lot of extras. There is footage with Gene Roddenberry in it; as well as some of the cast and writers. Excellent rating I give 4 out of 4 stars for TOS Season 1 (7-Disc DVD). The only draw back is the TOS sets are very expensive. You can get almost 2 STNG for the price of 1 TOS Seasons. This was a gift from the wife.

I'll start TNG hopefully I'll enjoy season 1 more then I did originally.

Hi,

I will get my STNG reviews out tommorrow. I'll be watching the UFC tonight.

My Pick's: Shamrock in an upset by decision.

Arlovski by KO in the 1'st.

Well,

I watched the first 2 discs of STNG season 1. Far Point is still pretty bad in my eyes. Picard surrenders in the first 10 minutes of the show to Q. Looking back with the saucer section seperating it was too much for the first show. Especially, for someone like me that loved TOS. Riker (Johnathan Frakes) is great from the start and really pushes the show. Picard (Patrick Stewart) seems extremely cold. Dr. Crusher (Gates McFadden) has fantastic depth for the charater right off the bat. Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton) represents the kid in all of us. Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis) is the counselor, and we have a clear understanding what a Betazoid is; and how valuable she is. 1 out of 4 stars.

The Naked Now is where things seem to jump into gear. Picard shows us that he is human and not a robot.

Of coarse everybody remembers Natasha Yar (Denise Crosby) is a strong charater from the start and we see the famous "Data Scene". Poor Worf (Michael Dorn) has an aweful make up job (at least by STNG standards) but makes the best of it. 4 out of 4 stars.

The difference between the second show and the first is huge. Over the next few episodes the charaters evolve in a natural progression.

The difference between the second show and the first is huge. Over the next few episodes the charaters evolve in a natural progression.

Thats because they picked the 2nd show to rip-off a TOS episode already.... :laugh:

thats cool this sites fun keeps me out trouble on net alot..oh treks on spike,sci fi,upn,new channel www.g4tv.com..i like old ones they brought them back awsome..recycle out...

post-761-1152992715.jpg

post-761-1152992800.jpg

Thats because they picked the 2nd show to rip-off a TOS episode already.... :bow:

:bow: Kor makes a great point that by using a TOS plot idea so early in TNG, it reinforced the doubts of many TOS fans early on about how strong and worthy a successor TNG would be to TOS. Of course TNG was a worthy successor, with 7 successful seasons - but at the time of Naked Now it's future was still being hotly debated.

You guys are on it as usual. Great points. I heard that Matt Damon is playing the next Captain Kirk. I like Matt but, I think an unknow should have played Kirk.

Hi,

It's been a while. The weather in the North East is crazy right now. 111F with Heat index 120+. I haven't watched TNG in a while I think I have burnout. Any way I'll post more tommorrow.

The heat has subsided a little and it's football season soon. The Pats play there first pre season game tommorrow. I love football. Any way, for those of you that are collectors I may be selling some figures. I have some TOS Playmates that have damaged cards that I will sell for less than book as space is becoming an issue for me.

Yeah, the heat was brutal in Chicago too. Not as high but with the humidity it was bad. Good to see you back posting! I'm getting excited over going to the Vegas convention next week but it's going to be over 100 degrees there! :tribble: But it will still be fun! My first huge convention since the 25th anniversary one in LA! :clap:

I'm just starting to watch Star Trek again. The Pats took a bad nose dive. The weather here is 4 degrees. This was a huge change from the last time a wrote. I don't think I like the idea of a prequel it didn't work to well for SW.