Sign in to follow this  
Sam The Smuggler

August 3rd 2003, Time Travel Will Happen

:P

At this point, all I need to do is stand in front of the Empire State Building on august 3rd, and there is a CHANCE that I will appear from the future.
I agree there is a very good chance he will appear from the future but...
You have now been chosen to travel through time. Maybe this is a guided tour, or maybe they will let you go alone. Who knows.

I believe it WILL be a guided tour, his future self will ONLY be allowed to observe his younger self waiting and watching for his future self to appear, NO INTERACTIONS ARE EVER ALLOWED. If interactions were allowed we would be seeing time travelers all the time and knowing who they were and where they came from. Since TTs are never on the evening news we do not know if they are here or not and that is how it MUST be to protect the future, imo.

That guy sounded like a lunatic. If you could invent a time machine, why not just go back to an event like a birthday or something, give it to yourself so you don't have to invent it, then go retire to a tropical island while the you belonging to this timeline gets to be a time travel. :P

Woah. I'll give the guy kudos..his idea does make sense if you believe that the future is actually happening right now and that the ability to time travel will have happened in his lifetime..let's say his future self dies (knock on wood that he does not) 3 days or 150 years before TT is invented? Alterego..as I tend to agree with you, we cannont be sure, as that is what we've read/seen all our lives..don't talk to urself or ur screwed..maybe its not true..Honestly IMO the future isn't going on right now and there's no way this guy's experiment will work, in which case he will make excuses..and if he says it worked, he'll have no proof. Very interesting stuff Sam, Thx.

I'd just like to add that those who "claim" we're constantly "time travelling" to the future don't know what they are talking about in my opinion.

What we experrience is what is called a linear existance. With that said, the only way to actually travel to the future would be if you were able to, say, skip 30 years and instantaneously be transported to 2033. One could say that if you froze yourself for 30 years, you would have time traveled. Relatively speaking, maybe. However, your frozen body would still have aged 30 years, you just wouldn't be able to tell, becuase, well... you were frozen. :P

I agree with Alterego and jdigs, we cant be sure what the consequences would be if his older self interacted with his younger self.

If I do not appear, then I have proved 100% without a shadow of a doubt, that I will NEVER have access to time travel. Think about it. I have just scientifically proven something about the future that has NOT happened yet.

Unfortunately, his logic is woefully INCORRECT.

What if...

Time travel actually works in a different way than the "Bill and Ted" method? (please see Timeline Topic for a more detailed answer)

What if it works in a way where the future hasn't happened yet, and so you can't start changing the past until it is invented?

What if in the future, he accidentally removes his tattoo or gives up on the experiment?

There are just too many "what if's" to say that there is ANYTHING proven if he doesn't come back. (and I'll bet anyone - that he doesn't - because once time travel is invented there will likely be restrictions on damaging the time line)

If I do not appear, then I have proved 100% without a shadow of a doubt, that I will NEVER have access to time travel. Think about it. I have just scientifically proven something about the future that has NOT happened yet.

Unfortunately, his logic is woefully INCORRECT.

What if...

Time travel actually works in a different way than the "Bill and Ted" method? (please see Timeline Topic for a more detailed answer)

What if it works in a way where the future hasn't happened yet, and so you can't start changing the past until it is invented?

What if in the future, he accidentally removes his tattoo or gives up on the experiment?

There are just too many "what if's" to say that there is ANYTHING proven if he doesn't come back. (and I'll bet anyone - that he doesn't - because once time travel is invented there will likely be restrictions on damaging the time line)

hmmm, very good and interesting points there xeroc.