Sign in to follow this  
bearded ape

star trek & religon

i hope this post isent moved. anyway, i was wondering, have any of you seen any signs of religon in any of the charecters on star trek? and i dont think quarks little obsession with shiny things counts.

Stardate:213578.7

Do you mean like as in the prophets that the Bajorans worship?Yeh there is religion in Star Trek especially DS9.Most of DS9 is revolves around the Bajorans(Major Kira) and thier religion.

You could include Klingon spirtuality in there as well. I don't know about DS9 but there were a few episodes that dealt with that on TNG.

If I'm not Mistaken, there an Episode of TOS where they found a planet of "Sun Worshipers", which actually turned out to be "Son" and Not "Sun".

Meaning The Son Of God.

Christians it would seem.

And the Ferengi have

"The Divine Treasury" (Heaven)

and

"The Vault Of Eternal Debt" (Hell)

LOL

If I'm not Mistaken, there an Episode of TOS where they found a planet of "Sun Worshipers", which actually turned out to be "Son" and Not "Sun".

Meaning The Son Of God.

Christians it would seem.

And the Ferengi have

"The Divine Treasury" (Heaven)

and

"The Vault Of Eternal Debt" (Hell)

LOL

In TOS, Who Mourns for Adonis? When Ardonis told Kirk he would be their God - Kirk replied "We find the one sufficient" - something I doubt they'd say now - which makes sense because our world has expanded.

no i mean like the charecters on the ships, like data, picard, riker and so on. lets say just the human crew members. becuase i cant think of any religion at all among this part of the cast. do all the aliens have thier own religon and humans religon is atheism?

Kira lives a lot about her faith.

I think she's the more spiritual character in that sence.

Chakotay too.

As the other...

In a way, I'm glad they left known religion out of Star Trek... We already got enough problem with them irl.

(No, I don't say religion aren't good.. I'm not a atheist... But well.. We got a lot of religion conflict, and I'm glad that they don't use that as a "conflict of idea" base)

I would love to see religion used on ENTERPRISE and refuse to believe the "Humans of the future" are aetheists. I think they leave out Human religions becuase it'd create too much controversy among the audience. In a drama you can get away with religous topics, but it just doesn't seem to work in sci-fi becuase of all the alien races and conflicting beliefes. We did see Chakotay and his believes. They've done it at least once, so, I guess that's something.

As previously stated you can count Klingon spirituality, and Chakotay was a very spiritual person. :P

Well,one one episode of Star trek:TNG they were having a sort of(I'll bet I get this wrong) hindu festival or something.And on an episode of the old un-official animated series,the Enterprise was having a Christmas party.I think most of the human characters don't really go around announcing their spiritual leanings(although it seems most fan writers try to write all of them as either atheists or skeptics),because they just,um,don't.

I like to think of the human characters as being religous, they just avoid it in a SCI-FI series for 2 reasons: 1. People might get offended. / 2. You'd be having hollidays, themes, conflicts, and so on, thus using up story time and episodes that could be other wise, sci-fi.

However, it wouldn't hurt, to explore the religous beliefes of a character. They did it with Chakotay, so obviously, it can be done again.

Well,one one episode of Star trek:TNG they were having a sort of(I'll bet I get this wrong) hindu festival or something.And on an episode of the old un-official animated series,the Enterprise was having a Christmas party.I think most of the human characters don't really go around announcing their spiritual leanings(although it seems most fan writers try to write all of them as either atheists or skeptics),because they just,um,don't.

You are correct about TNG. In Data's Day, Data says that the Hindu Festival of Lights is being celebrated in his log entry to Commander Maddux. Also in Generations, when Picard is in the Nexus his "family" is celebrating Christmas but whether Christmas is consider a religious holiday in the 24th century I don't know. There are many people who celebrate Christmas now as strictly a day that Santa comes with no religious connatations.

has anybody read the new frontier books? in some ( 2 come to mind )there is a race called the redeemers ,they go around forcing they're religion on other people/planets, in the name of they're god "xant", it (the books) even has commander shelby( you know her from when she tried to take over enterprise while piccard was locutous)questioning her beliefs and even referances the bible and what not. so yea i think it does exist . :look:

I think they stay away from human religions to avoid alienating whole groups of viewers. If Archer were a devout Christian how well would that play in Turkey or India or Saudi Arabia?

Also, what if they were to make Trip a devout Satinist? How well would that play with Christians to see him in black robes and praying to satan?

It would be nice for me as an individual to see my religion represented but what if another religion is represented that is 100% against my religion? I don't know that I'd watch that show much if at all.

I think they stay away from human religions to avoid alienating whole groups of viewers. If Archer were a devout Christian how well would that play in Turkey or India or Saudi Arabia?

Also, what if they were to make Trip a devout Satinist? How well would that play with Christians to see him in black robes and praying to satan?

It would be nice for me as an individual to see my religion represented but what if another religion is represented that is 100% against my religion? I don't know that I'd watch that show much if at all.

That's the whole point. Ratings.