Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Paul McCartney To Split With Wife Heather Mills

LONDON - Paul McCartney and his wife Heather Mills are planning to separate, media reports said Wednesday.

Representatives of the couple declined to comment but said a statement was expected later in the day.

The former Beatle married Mills in June 2002, four years after his former wife Linda McCartney died of breast cancer. McCartney and Mills had a daughter in October 2003.

The Daily Mirror and BBC both reported the planned split.

sad news, they always seemed happy on TV

Its a shame but I always thought that McCartney jumped into marriage a bit quick after the death of Linda.

Ok, to fill in some of the facts here: they claim that they still care very much for each other, but the constant media invasion has ruined the romance for them.

Right.......the media invasion's gonna subside once they separate.

Both are concerned and plan to be there as responsible parents for their young daughter. (I think she's three now...)

There was no prenup. Lawyers for Mills say her share is about 376 million (I think dollars, but it could be pounds or euros, either way, a freakin' boatload of money). McCartney is worth 1.5 billion, estimated.

My speculation:

I'd heard that there was also some hardship because she wouldn't let him smoke pot in the house or on the property. For the best, given the small child. That's just hearsay though, I can't confirm it.

I agree that the marriage seemed a little rush following Linda's death. I can't help it, but I really don't feel sorry for them. Heather didn't share Paul's passion for music (whereas Linda was a member of Paul's band Wings), she sucked him into touting her causes a bit more (or at least elevating his involvement), and she didn't even know who he was before they met. In some ways that's nice. He wants someone who'll love him for him and not for his fame and money, but c'mon...to never even have heard of him? Talk about living under a rock. On the surface, it looks like she was all take and no give.

However, I'll grant that this is a superficial speculation.

they claim that they still care very much for each other, but the constant media invasion has ruined the romance for them.

This is pure BS. There is no way that "constant media invasion" has messed up this marriage. First off, its been a very long time since Paul was a Beatle. I very much doubt that he still has throngs of reporters lining up outside his house hoping for a peek. He hasn't had a hit song in years and his recent cds get absolutely no airplay. His concerts still sell out because people want to say that they've seen a Beatle and they want to hear him sing his Beatle songs and perhaps his Wings stuff as well. When he plays his newer stuff, its time to hit the concession stand. I can tell you this from experience because I just saw Paul in concert last year.

If he used this excuse about 35 years ago, I might have bought it. But to use it today, no way!

they claim that they still care very much for each other, but the constant media invasion has ruined the romance for them.

This is pure BS. There is no way that "constant media invasion" has messed up this marriage. First off, its been a very long time since Paul was a Beatle. I very much doubt that he still has throngs of reporters lining up outside his house hoping for a peek. He hasn't had a hit song in years and his recent cds get absolutely no airplay. His concerts still sell out because people want to say that they've seen a Beatle and they want to hear him sing his Beatle songs and perhaps his Wings stuff as well. When he plays his newer stuff, its time to hit the concession stand. I can tell you this from experience because I just saw Paul in concert last year.

If he used this excuse about 35 years ago, I might have bought it. But to use it today, no way!

Except, Paul has been busy keeping himself in the spotlight. So far, since the turn of the millenium, he has:

1. Organized the concert for New York City after the terrorist attacks on that tragic day.

1b. Had a hit (and a fairly big one on the Adult Contemporary charts) from that performance in New York City.

2. Played the halftime show at the Superbowl.

3. Helped co-organize the Live 8 concerts with U2, which also yielded a prestigious duet between the two.

4. Married again.

5. Got nominated for at least two Grammies (as far as I know, a first for him)

5b. Played at the Grammies (also a first, I believe)

6. Made waves on radio with "Fine Line" and "This Never Happened Before"

7. Released the first anthology on his post-Beatle band, which has been clamored for by fans and hailed by critics

8. Another huge live album

9. Spokesperson for the causes of removal of landmines, as well rights and improvement of life for amputees.

10. Proved himself to be a selfish (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) by fighting to get songwriting credits changed to "McCartney/Lennon" on songs that he did most of the writing for.

11. Now, separation.

And aside from double-checking the release date on Wingspan, that's all from memory. Who knows what else would turn up if I actually googled for news items?

The man has been continuously in the spotlight. He's still a hot item for newspeople. After Bono, McCartney is the most socially inflluential musician out there. I don't see how you can say the media hasn't been into his private life. And that's just for the man, that's not even including the articles still being written on the Beatles, for which I'm sure he gets asked to do interviews (although I'm sure he turns now at least 99% of them).