Sign in to follow this  
NordicBearskin

Which is larger?

Which of these has a larger 'universe'? On the face of it, Star Trek has a much larger 'universe' as it encapsulates a whole galaxy, while LOTR takes place on a continent named 'Middle Earth'. However, LOTR, aside from the ring-bearers quest and the fellowship, has a complete history streching back 6000+ years, all of it written in as much detail as the 6-book tale The Lord Of the Rings and this history is of EVERYWHERE in Middle Earth. For complete example there is a lengthy tale of the besieging of the Shire in 1409 in the Third age. It chronicles how whole kingdoms came into being and withered away. How races and language evolved over the millenia. So which is it?

A ~ Star Trek

or

B ~ LOTR

Any ideas/comments/drunken scrawls will be appreciated... :wow:

I can't decide so I'm going to go in the middle

Dr Who

Here's my logic on why it's in the middle...It hails from UK and it's science fiction.

Dr Who

Here's my logic on why it's in the middle...It hails from UK and it's science fiction.

I'm assuming that's a drunken scrawl...

remember, more :pepsi: less :wow:

Hmmm not sure, they both hold a place in my heart. I adore Trek, and I also really like LOTR(the books and the movies). So, I cannot easily decide, they both have a vast history in their own right(I am not referring to popularity history....) the difference between them is LOTR's history is all pretty much written down, and Trek's is still open to novelists, screenwriters, series development...there is much left to explore.

Never read LOTR, and only saw the first movie.

However, I believe STAR TREK is the more expanse universe.

We have 5 TV series spanning the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th centuries as well as 10 movies which expand on the 23rd & 24th centuries. We have a whole galaxy to explore. Hundreds of alien species, hundreds of starships, an array of characters ranging from Captain Archer to Admiral Janeway.

LOTR may be "larger" than Trek, but STAR TREK is more expansive for the simple reason that the story will never end. All you need is a good imagination. :laugh:

Star Trek!

i love the books of LOTR, and i LIKE the movies, but i do not love them. i probably wont even buy them. they just arent as good as the books. (except the samirillion and unfinished tales suck! lol)

I prefer trek 10 fold.

i love them both, for there own thing. but when it comes down to it, i dont know, probably LOTR, after all you do have soooooooooooo much more history and story behind LOTR. but its a hard one to really say. but there both greatl :laugh:

Ohmigosh. This is like asking me to choose between two children. Or which parent I love more. :laugh:

Ok - which one is bigger? In what sense? LOTR has more of its backhistory written, but as nearly as I can tell, it never truly ends. You have the end of the age of the Elves, but no true ending of "history." And Tolkein hits major points, just like any "history book". You can add at will, as long as it doesn't disturb the canon.

ST is on a far bigger scale of course, with much more room to grow. I LOVE how fans can play "What if", write their own scenarios - there are so many threads that, by necessity, aren't completed. So many places, so little time!!!!!!

If I had to choose....the glory that is LOTR, the grandeur that is ST? J/K. Hm. Prob ST. More flexible, and more room.

Well, I've always kinda thought that Tolkein wrote TLOR as a mythical ancient history of Europe. We are living in the Age of Men.

If Middle Earth is ancient history to us and Star Trek is our future then it's all the same tale isn't it? And we're still fighting the same demons.

Well, I've always kinda thought that Tolkein wrote TLOR as a mythical ancient history of Europe.  We are living in the Age of Men. 

If Middle Earth is ancient history to us and Star Trek is our future then it's all the same tale isn't it?  And we're still fighting the same demons.

You know, you have an excellent point. Midgard or Middle Earth is the realm of Man and Tolkien is basically writing about history, and Trek is our future...so to speak, It really is the same tale. Good idea there :laugh:

I would have to say that Star Trek has the bigger universe. I am not just using the eras that Trek existed but also all of Earth's and galaxy's histories as well as they are all a part of Trek history. Trek is set in the future but it's past is our past. Many of the alien cultures in Trek are incredibly ancient in our terms as well.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Dr Who

I'm assuming that's a drunken scrawl...

remember, more :pepsi: less :lol:

Mix those two together, you get the best of both worlds :laugh:

Stardate:213578.7

Woa thats a hard question.ummm I dont know I will have to go with what was said earlier LOTR was in the past and Star Trek is in the future.

Well, I've always kinda thought that Tolkein wrote TLOR as a mythical ancient history of Europe.  We are living in the Age of Men. 

If Middle Earth is ancient history to us and Star Trek is our future then it's all the same tale isn't it?  And we're still fighting the same demons.

yes i definately like what your saying here, now instead of having to choose, its all ONE BIG STORY ARC. from our past to our future. great going. :laugh:

I bet if we try real hard we can fit The X-Files in there too.

The Consortium could easily be responsible for the eugenics wars that created Khan. Of course we don't know what the outcome of the 2010 colonization date will be, since CC hasn't gotten off his butt to write the movie, yet. But all records of the aliens and black oil could have been lost in the wars.

See, I can rationalize anything. :devil:

It's hard for me to awnser, since they aren't the same...

You can't compare those work.

And LOTR was the creation of one man, in some books (LOTR Trilogy...)

Star Trek started as a TV serie, with lots of people working around it.

I just love both.

Never read LOTR, and only saw the first movie.

However, I believe STAR TREK is the more expanse universe.

We have 5 TV series spanning the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th centuries as well as 10 movies which expand on the 23rd & 24th centuries.  We have a whole galaxy to explore.  Hundreds of alien species, hundreds of starships, an array of characters ranging from Captain Archer to Admiral Janeway.

LOTR may be "larger" than Trek, but STAR TREK is more expansive for the simple reason that the story will never end.  All you need is a good imagination. :P

ive been a trekki longer , :P but i think they are both good :P

I say Star Trek, based on reality, we have created things that were based on Star Trek and that adds a little Trek in our universe, something that has been around for millions of years... beat that LOTR!!!!