Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Borg Allies?

Borg  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think It's Possible That The Borg Could Be Allies In the Future?

• Yes
    • No
    • other

I was watching "Q Who" last night on the Borg DVD and Guinan said something interesting that I never paid much attention to before, she said something like "When humans are ready, it may be possible to establish a relationship with the Borg, but for now humanity was only raw material to them". Do you think the Borg could ever establish a relationship, even a friendship, with humans in the future?

Thinking of this, I'd like to see a future Trek series be set in like the 34th century and by that time have the Borg as allies. Then have an alien species that is worse than the Borg as an enemy. What could be worse than the Borg? Don't know but who said the Borg is as bad as it gets, Q hinted on the same episode that there are "terrors that would freeze your soul". The Borg may be bad, but there could be worse things out there, deeper in space that the humans haven't even come in contact with. In other words, we are lucky we just saw the Borg, because much worse things lurk farther in space. It'd be interesting to see what things are more out there in a future series that make the Borg look like kittens. Not saying that there is anything worse than the Borg, but could be

I voted "other" just because I think it is a maybe

Edited by Gamera

In what shape or form could the Federation ever ally themselves with a species that exists to destroy and assimilate entire worlds? I can't see it ever happening.

i could see the founder's becoming allies of the federation long before the borg do.

I agree. At least the Founders are a species that you can actually negotiate with. Plus, they now know that Starfleet can kick their butt.... :lol:

I don't see why not, but all members of this alliance should have interlink nodes that can be turned on and off at the indivuals will, nanos are also multipurpose..

Could be the most unified 'internet like' mind in the galaxy.

every time I watch Borg episodes like "Descent" and "I, Borg" I'm more convinced that the Borg could be allies. I think over time, if the majority of the Borg have become independent thinkers like Hugh and the rest of the Borg from Descent, an alliance is very possible. The old ways of the Borg could eventually die out to the next step of the evolutionary Borg like Hugh and Seven. It'd be like the Cardassians fighting to change their old ways all over again.

Hugh was not the typical Borg. If the Borg disconnected themselves from the collective and became individuals, then perhaps they could be reasoned with. As long as they are drones and as long as they continue to assimilate other species, there is no chance for an alliance.

NO!!!

The Borg only exist to destroy those they think are inferior to them or to assimilate those with useful technologies.

on Voyager, I believe it was Unimatrix Zero, thousands of Borg were starting to become independent from the collective. Janeway said that it may be the start of the Borg Civil War. Which would be like DS9 when the Cardassians that wanted changed fought those who didn't. So with thousands of Borg becoming independent, if the good Borg wins, I can very well see an alliance. It's already been proven that the Borg can have children without assimilation just by growing them from DNA, so the Borg wouldn't have to keep assimilating everyone. So even the TV series Voyager hints at the Borg being good since they brought up the civil war topic.

I'm telling ya, it could very well happen. Who would have thought those Klingons from the original series would have become allies by TNG? I know if I said that in the past everyone would have thought it never would have happened as well

Edited by Gamera

True, I believe that it would be possible to make an stable alliance with the good Borg. But it would be impossible to make an stable alliance with the Collective, that is something that would never happen.

Speaken of alliances between the Borg and the Federation, I just have to show this funny picture I found on the net:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
borg.jpg

:dude:

B)

A Federation-Borg Alliance would be an interesting thing to see, but I agree that it wouldn't last. The Borg are just to single-minded (excuse the pun) and too obsessed with perfection. The individuallity of every species of the Federation would be seen as chaos to the Borg sense of unity and order.

I think 2 things would be required for the Fed to become allies with the Borg; the Queen would have to agree to no longer assimilate anyone and 2; give current drones the ability to live free lives disconnected from the hive. Then yes.

I'm gonna say no. Alliance with an outside species is in direct contradiction with the nature of Borg. Characters like Seven of Nine, One, Hugh, Icheb, and others don't count because once they were disconnected from the Hive Mind they're weren't really "Borg" anymore. In order to function/survive outside the Hive Mind, they had to adopt singular identities and abandon the mission of assimilation. Even the crazy ex-drones in "Descent" didn't want to assimilate anymore, and they had individual names; in short, they too were no longer Borg.