Sign in to follow this  

To the Data fans

I have a question. I have always liked Data, but he wasnt my favorite. Dont get mad at me please. :bow: I never knew until I started posting at this, and other boards that he had such a fanbase, and is likely the most favorite character ever. My question is simply "Why?" Like I said...Please dont get mad at me. I'm not trying to make fun of you. :)

Data has such an innocence and sweetness to his character. Brent Spiner was so wonderful at getting "the actors and the audience to feel"* what Data couldn't. We felt Data's triumphs and pain for him and watched him grow to be a more complete individual and I believe that feeling all of these emotions for him drew people to his character more than others because in a way we were "living" his emotions.

I'm not sure if that makes sense but I hope it helps.

*Jonathan Frakes talks about that in the special features in season 6's DVDs.

lol. Don't worry, we wont kill you. Everypne's entitled to their own opinion (I will repeat this to myself again and again...just kidding. I don;t have to agree with you, but I don't have to understand it either.)

Favourite character ever? I hope so (it certainly appears like it, from what i've seen :bow: )

Well, as well as what soong_girl said, he's so cute (not JUST in appearance!)

He's also sweet, nice, kind, smart, strong, curious, naive, child-like, and he brings up great ideas in every episode (deep, interesting, thoughtful, pholosophical-spelled-properly ideas. Also interesting little tid-bits about the weirdness and "goodness" about humanity). He's also modest, interesting, talented and he has such an effect on everyone and is always teaching them and making them think. The best acting and discussions and quotes always seem to take place when he's in the room. And of course, Brent Spiner...

Ok, this is all your fault!! getting me started on Data!

lol. Don't worry, we wont kill you. Everypne's entitled to their own opinion (I will repeat this to myself again and again...just kidding. I don;t have to agree with you, but I don't have to understand it either.)

Favourite character ever? I hope so (it certainly appears like it, from what i've seen  :bow: )

Well, as well as what soong_girl said, he's so cute (not JUST in appearance!)

He's also sweet, nice, kind, smart, strong, curious, naive, child-like, and he brings up great ideas in every episode (deep, interesting, thoughtful, pholosophical-spelled-properly ideas. Also interesting little tid-bits about the weirdness and "goodness" about humanity). He's also modest, interesting, talented and he has such an effect on everyone and is always teaching them and making them think. The best acting and discussions and quotes always seem to take place when he's in the room. And of course, Brent Spiner...

Ok, this is all your fault!! getting me started on Data!

I always like to joke that his off switch is part of the appeal too.

I always like to joke that his off switch is part of the appeal too.

mmm hmmm. Well now! lol

That's horrible, lol. I know I would never want to turn him off (that sounded a lot dirtier than it was meant to... :bow: )

That's horrible, lol.  I know I would never want to turn him off (that sounded a lot dirtier than it was meant to... :bow: )

I would NEVER deactivate Data but I bet every woman with a significant other has at one time or other wished their guy had an off switch. And they are lying if they say they haven't. :)

Why I like Data, aside from the fact that I think he is incredibly attractive in appearance. It is the fact that he is accessible, someone I would most definately have no problem becoming friends with. He listens, he's intellegent(and no jokes about him being a machine, we already know that after all), creative, sensitive, funny, artistic, strong, protective, helpful, innocent, naive, always had great ideas even if the crew didn't always listen, and somewhere in a novel he basically states that he holds women in high regard and highly respects them (and that is obvious in the TNG series), and yes I know the other Soong girls have said all of this already. He is just the perfect man, IMO. . .and no, I am not including the off switch, since I'd never deactivate him, that'd be cruel!

OK, so I don't have a significant other, but about that off switch....hmmmm... I have a few students that I wish they had an off switch! Two girls actually remind me of a very hyper version of B4! You know how he was with the really dumb questions, and that blank stare. . .now make him extremely hyper and you've got the two I am refering to!

lol, Yillara. I don't have a "significant other" yet either - never have, actually (and if you read my last post, you'll know why), but I'm quite sure I would never want to switch them off. EVER!! Especially if it was Data.

Ahh yes, sounds like you are similar to me. On the grounds that there are times I wish he was real, and that I could date him! Wishful thinking, I know!

That and I have never had a significat other. There are always little jokes about the fact that my little sister has dated, gotten engaged and married before me! Now the bet is on that my 17 year old brother will get married before me too!! All I tell them is I am completely happy the way I am, and that it doesn't matter to me that my siblings have been in relationships before me. I mean, after all, I have had to council both of them already, on their ups and downs of dating!

i guess it doesn't really matter when you marry as long as it's the right guy (and oh yes have I wished Data was real. But he's not, so back to the real world, darn it! I'm just kidding, don't worry)

i guess it doesn't really matter when you marry as long as it's the right guy (and oh yes have I wished Data was real. But he's not, so back to the real world, darn it! I'm just kidding, don't worry)

And the right guy never has appeared, yet. My sister once said that finding the right guy with my standards would be like searching for a microscopic needle in a huge haystack :) ! She said that my standards are pretty much impossible, look at why I like Data and you can see what she means!

I know, darn it(the real world part)...so don't worry about me either!! :bow:

lol about standards. Of course, Data meets all of mine (this isn't going of topic! his name is in the thread!!)

lol about standards. Of course, Data meets all of mine (this isn't going of topic! his name is in the thread!!)

That's right his name is in the thread title, and it is addressed to those who like/love him!! So we are not off topic, wait we ARE on the off-topic forum!!

That is precisely why my sister says that! Data DOES meet my criteria!!!And he pretty much is the only guy I know(personally or not) that DOES!

Data is all of what they said and i think he would be a strong guy that was a little more in tough with his "softer" side. Most guys would think that made you a wimp. But Data had the strength of ten men. He is not a wimp.

I actually have a part in one of my stories where "Harper" threatens Data with using his off switch. It was pretty funny.

There is also that he had so much that he could be and could do. But is jsut want to see him in love. Can you imagine him smitten?

That would be great.

Just a silly snippet....the one about the off switch

From an unfinshed work, called "Lessons across timelines..."

“I had to open my big mouth, didn’t I?” Harper sighed, grabbed the communicator out of Data's hand and stomped back to her bedroom. “You’re going to work all day tomorrow, aren’t you?" she asked, coming back to stare at him in the hall. "Good, so am I. I have to get out of this house before I succumb to the overwhelming desire to strangle you!”

Data gave her that, ‘you are crazy’ expression again.

“That would be an ineffective defense against me,” he informed her, trying not to smile.

“I know where your off switch is,” Harper said tilting her head and looking innocently up at him.

“That would work.” He looked very nervous now.

“I know where your off switch is,” Harper said tilting her head and looking innocently up at him.

“That would work.” He looked very nervous now.

hehehe, that's great :lol: ! It sounds just as good as your other ones (which means, of course, amazing).