Sign in to follow this  
APW

Darren McGavin R. I. P.

The husky, tough-talking actor who starred in several TV series, played a grouchy dad in the holiday classic "A Christmas Story" and had other strong roles in such films as "The Man with the Golden Arm" and "The Natural," died Saturday. He was 83.

McGavin died of natural causes at a Los Angeles-area hospital with his family at his side, said his son Bogart McGavin.

McGavin made his film debut in 1945 when he switched from painter of movie sets to bit actor in "A Song to Remember." After a decade of learning his craft in New York, he returned to Hollywood and became one of the busiest actors in television and films.

He starred in five series, including "Mike Hammer" and cult favorite "Kolchak: The Night Stalker," and became a prolific actor in TV movies. Among his memorable portrayals was Gen. George Patton in the 1979 TV biography "Ike."

Edited by APW

I saw this on yahoo tonight when I signed on, another Bummer, at least he will be seen for now on in one of the most beloved Christmas out there

I remember Darren McGavin mostly from the "Kolchac: The Night Stalker" TV show. That was a great show. He was also great in "Dirty Harry" with Eastwood. He was one of my favorite actors from that era.

Yes, I remember the Night Stalker as well, loved that show - and noticed how McGavin showed up in quest shots on the X files - but The Christmas Story will be one of his most remembered films.

He was also married to Kathie Browne, a TOS guest star, until her death in 2003

He was also married to Kathie Browne, a TOS guest star, until her death in 2003

Thats Right! I had forgotten about that. Kathie Browne (Wink Of An Eye) was one of the hottest guest stars that TOS ever had. Her character was one of the few in TOS that you absolutely know for certain that Kirk had sex with...lol. I always wondered how they got away with that scene. Its pretty tame by today's standards but back then, it was really risque.

Yes, his death is a real loss. I just saw a couple "Kolchac: The Night Stalker" episodes this weekend. He did a great job on that show, it's still fun to watch! I agree that his part in "The Christmas Story" should keep his memory alive for a long time, as it should be.