Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

The Original Series Movies.

When I think of 'Star Trek Movies' I think of the Original Movie sSeries and not the big TNG episodes of recent years. And I cant help wonder why there is little to no discussion on the classics that are The Wrath of Khan and TheVoyage Home and so on.

Hmm... :D (shrugs) Dunno. :D A OK, let's discuss the TOS movies! :)

I enjoyed the TOS movies just as much as I do the TNG movies. As for calling the TNG movies big TV episodes... The movies are big TV episodes! B) :waaaa:

Anywho, my favorite TOS movie is The Undsicovered Country. Some of my favorite scenes include the destruction of the original Enterprise and when Scotty claims he knows the Enterprise-A like the back of his hand, then knocks himself out on a curved bulkhead! :waaaa:

Anywho, my favorite TOS movie is The Undsicovered Country.  Some of my favorite scenes include the destruction of the original Enterprise and when Scotty claims he knows the Enterprise-A like the back of his hand, then knocks himself out on a curved bulkhead! :rolleyes: [/glow]

Actually, CJLP, the destruction of the original Enterprise took place toward the end of Star Trek III, The Search For Spock.

i've often wondered myself why theres little to no discussion of the TOS movies, i love them. my fave of all probably is VI, but i love them all with the exception of V i do like it but its my least fave. i think undiscovered country just had sooo much of everything in it, that made it a great movie. :rolleyes:

Im not criticiing but there just seemed to be too much talk about Nemesis and future movies and stuff. The old movies are a wealth of discussion...

What happened to V'Ger and Decker etc?

What did Khan and co do in their years in exile?

How long was Spock left on Genesis?

What happened to the Genesis experiments?

Who was Krudge really?

What did the Excelsior do, prior to Sulu?

What was Sulu's missions like?

So much to talk about....

i am told that my post about the wrath of khan got some people annoyed. sorry, i was trying to make it sound like khan. but i had to leave in a hurry and forgot to lwave anything like a smilie to show my intentions. anyway, i like wrath of khan by far and think it is the best thing that trek has ever created.

^ :(

I believe Vger Decker and Ilea became "Tinman" or Gomto, I know it is a strech but it’s possible. Watch TMP then watch Tinman and see, there is a possible connection imo.

What did Khan and co do in their years in exile?

Greg Cox is going to answer this question in book 3 of the Eugenics Wars.

How long was Spock left on Genesis?

At the beginning of ST3, doesn’t Kirk mention how long they have been traveling back to Earth from the Genesis planet? Add a few weeks or so to that for the time back at earth then add the travel time back to Genesis.

What happened to the Genesis experiments?

I dunno, it did just vanish from history huh.

Who was Krudge really?

Just another Klingon being a Klingon.

What did the Excelsior do, prior to Sulu?

I’ve never heard or read anything about the pre ST3 history of the ship.

What was Sulu's missions like?

They were a gas!

^ :(

I believe Vger Decker and Ilea became "Tinman" or Gomto, I know it is a strech but it’s possible. Watch TMP then watch Tinman and see, there is a possible connection imo.

Alterego, have you read any of Shatner's novels? The reason I'm asking is that in one of his novels (brain fart-I can't remember specifically which one) Shatner puts forth another theory regarding the fate of Will Decker, the Ilia probe, and V'Ger. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in another post (another brain fart-I can't remember if it was on this board or another Trek message board-I'm getting too old!). Shatner's theory is as follows: During TMP, Spock theorized that V'Ger was discovered by the inhabitants of a machine planet after it travelled through a black hole. These inhabitants built a special ship for V'Ger so it could complete it's programming-gather all information and return it to it's creator. Since they were all machines, they took V'Ger's programming literally. During it's travels, V'Ger amassed so much information that it developed consciousness and a need to evolve. That's why it had to merge with "the creator," Decker. Shatner theorizes that when Decker merged with the Ilia probe and V'Ger, the Borg were born. Since they were still mainly machines, they still took part of V'Ger's programming literally, and "gathering information" became "assimilating." Makes sense to me. How about you?

Good V'Ger/Borg theory, except the Borg are thousands of years old. It could only work if Decker/Ilia/V'Ger travelled mellenia into the past, went to the Delta Quadrant, settled on a planet with people just like Humans, and then turned them into the Borg. :(

That does make sense mrskirk, before anyone reaches for the reply button to say 'no way, the Borg are older than that', consider this; in TMP when the three combine they disappear. In that moment they could have traveled back to the machine world and simultaneously traveled back in time as well.

Then how do you explain the Borg Queen telling Data, "Human.  We used to be exactly like them.  Flawed, weak, organic, but then we evolved to include the synthetic."

Will Decker was human...

Hmm... It's an interresting theory. Personally, I allways believed the Borg started out as a race similar to Humans, kind'a like how the Betazoids are similar to Humans, and evolved to include the synthetic, starting with artificial limbs and proceeding to nueral implants to "link up". Maybe they found a few species willing to join their "collective". After they discover what a rewarding experrience this is, they began forced assimilation of other species. Then they develope the idea they can reach through perfection through this method, while betterring all life forms in the process, thus, the Borg are born.

I think both theories are very plausable. Anywho, how's mine sound in contrast to the V'ger-theory?

Hmm...  It's an interresting theory.  Personally, I allways believed the Borg started out as a race similar to Humans, kind'a like how the Betazoids are similar to Humans, and evolved to include the synthetic, starting with artificial limbs and proceeding to nueral implants to "link up".  Maybe they found a few species willing to join their "collective".  After they discover what a rewarding experrience this is, they began forced assimilation of other species.  Then they develope the idea they can reach through perfection through this method, while betterring all life forms in the process, thus, the Borg are born.

I think both theories are very plausable.  Anywho, how's mine sound in contrast to the V'ger-theory?

While you're theory is interesting, but I just have one question. How can a race "evolve" to include something synthetic? Doesn't anything non organic have to be built?

yeah. at first it may have been a social class thing. "o those poor people, they dont have the money to download info strait to htier brains. imagine haveing to go to school or read to learn something? how can they do it?" then it fainlly became a neccesity to have info go strait to your brain, to have your power tools in your arm and to be able to know what everybody else was thinking. anybody that dident wouldent even be considered a sentenit being. then somebody takes over the whole "nueral" net and we have the borg.

I love the original series feature films.I especially like the first film.I know a lot of fans don't,and the character interaction is off.But I remember going to see this film at the drive-in(when my town still had one!)as a kid and I was blown away by the special effects.I still love this movie and watch it at least once a month.The only original series film I hate is the Final Frontier.Oh man,why did Paramount green light that horror(and I usually like bad films!I'm a b-movie junkie!).But this film just reeks.I bought it to complete my Trek film collection on VHS,but only watched it twice in all the years I've owned it.I'll buy it as a DVD(again,to complete my collection),but yeah,it stinks.Of course,The Wrath of Khan is the ultimate Trek film(TNG's First Contact isn't even close--it's just got great FX).I'd also give a generally good review to The Search For Spock(under appreciated film) and The Voyage Home.Another great movie,The Undiscovered Country.

The TOS movies were the best by far. I loved how some of the movies had an arc between them much like a series of DS9 episodes... Spock dies... they bring him back, then they use the klingon ship to save the future. Great stuff.

I totally agree the TOS films are the best of all the Star Trek films,Wrath of Kahn and Undiscovered Country being the absolute best.The TNG films are all very good to they just seem to be missing something that the TOS films seem to have.

Oh and CJLP,another correction. Scotty hit his head on the bulkhead in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. and I agree with you,that was a very funny scene. :)