I rented a couple of movies this weekend - I picked this because it had been nominated for a couple of awards and because the plot looked interesting.

This was an emotionally intense movie to say the least - it was written and directed by Paul Haggis ( I never saw Million Dollar Baby but now that I know he did it I might) Haggis was the creative power behind one of my all time favorite tv series - Due South.

Anyway, the movie deals with racism - and it deals with various ethnic stereotypes - the characters' lives interact in many twists & turns and this movie is not predictable. There were a couple of scenes that were emotionally wrenching. I don't want to give too much away but I think it shows characters that are neither "good" nor "bad" but a complex combination of both.

My only complaint of the movie is too much use of the F word. I know some people think this makes a movie more realistic - I think the story was good - the offensiveness of the overuse of that term distracted me from the story.

If you saw it did you spot Marina Sirtis?

I would say it is worth a look

I have an essay to write on that movie, but I need to get it and my head hurts to much to go outside for to long. Let alone watch that movie three times in a row to write a five to seven page paper.

My thoughts from another board:

Just finished it, and my mind's still swimming a little.

Figured the red box blanks as soon as it happened. Didn't even need to see it later on.

Ineresting that with all the racial heat in the movie, the one instance where death actually occurs is between the two supposedly most open-minded people (minus the locksmith).

Actually laughed out loud in a couple places: "Look at the way you drive, then ask me that question, again.

I actually teared up a little when the girl threw herself in front of her father. Very moving, for me at least.

I didn't notice Marina Sirtis in it though.