Sign in to follow this  
jeanlucPicard00

Guinan& Picard?

Guianan is quoted "have a thing for bald men for once one had been kind to me" referring back to her early adulthood. Times Arrow. It is stated that Picard has a great respect, admiration, trust, and are closer than friends, with Guinan. My first time out of the solar system, to be mortally wounded, was my first biggest trama.

The four years of starfleet academy is full of hard choices, hard study, and character forming situation simulations. Starfleet training is quite exstensive and more accepted applicants wash out then graduate every year. [/color]

A low, weak, moan emanated from the ensign. Although he felt his consciousness ebbing away, he still had the use of his eyes. His head lopped over to one side and he looked upon a large pool of blood where he had just been standing minutes before. He could barely move his head, and he couldn’t feel his limbs. He heard indiscriminant voices over lapping, and had images fading in and out. He thought to himself drolly how ironic to have finally been an officer in Starfleet and have his career end before even beginning.

“Hurry he’s lost too much blood already” A medic observed more to himself then to anyone else. The station’s Emergency Medical Team had been called immediately and seemed to respond even faster. “I think…that goes all the way through.” They continued to apply treatments as they lifted him to the anti-grav stretcher. Whoever had called them, used the proper codes and commands to elicit precisely the activity needed to ensure the life of this mortally wounded man.

One of the medics called over the noise in the room “Make sure the Chief Cardiac Surgeon is in the OR ready and waiting,” he dropped into a lower voice tinged with grief “or this young man is already dead.”

Others in the team used various com-links and issued a continuous stream of information and orders. The original 3 continued to work over him as they moved through the corridors, quickly filling with on-lookers. It was determined that the victim’s heart was completely severed and a blood pump was used.

“We need a site to site transport now!” The medic looked up to his colleagues for agreement and confirmation, recognizing both with a look. “Medi-A-1 to CnC request site transport to OR!” Two more seconds elapsed and he shouted again louder microseconds prior to the beam “Medical Emergency! NOW! Energize!”

The 3 main medics, the anti-grav stretcher, the blood pump, and the young combatant, vanished into a trillion particles.

A dark woman wearing an odd hat leaned against the bar wall rubbing her hands. She revealed a medical com-link and placed it in one or her many folds of pockets in her dress. She took a very deep breath, rising up in shoulders and chest, and then slowly let it out through pursed lips. There was nothing more she could do now but wait. She watched and listened as “Johnny’s” friends gathered around the security investigators.

One by one they chimed in to answer the investigator. The 3 Nausicaans were apprehended and put into custody. They were charged with attempted murder, disorderly conduct, tampering with public operations, and illegal gambling in an established zone.

Gunian stayed at a close enough distance to the group of graduated cadets to listen, but not so close as to be noticed doing so. She learned they had almost two more days of leave, till receiving their assignments. Then they would be going back to Earth for the week of Graduating Ceremonies, and allowed to take their leave of family and friends before departure.

Guinan looked back into her past. Captain Jean Luc Picard had kept her mind focused and her soul centered when she had finally regained consciousness after a potential life threatening head wound nearly 700 years ago on Earth. He had been a stranger to her, yet he risked his only known way back home, to his starship, carreer, family, and friends to help her. At the time she marveled at that for she wasnt even of that planet who had no space travel as yet. He had kept her comfortable and warm, and spoken to her softly, while she lapsed in and out of consciousness. She could not remember all he had said. It had been a long time.

She'd been looking for the man over the years. Over the last 22 years she had been watching his progress and waiting. She did recall he had said a friend had saved his life physicaly, spiritually and emotionally, his very first time out of his home solar system. He was certain this kind stranger had been watching out for him, and part of the reason he still lived.

“Um pardon me please, Lt? Mam?” The boy called Corey had been first to be questioned by the security personnel, yet he was the very last to remain, other than Guinan. “Have you received any news on the condition of Ensign Picard?” Ensign Zweller looked terribly distressed and concerned. He knew he was not without guilt in these latest transgressions, but the security guards derision was of little price for the information he would not be privy to from any other source. At least not tonight, or any time soon.

She looked at him scornfully, now fully knowing the whole that had occurred. He stood there taking it all in. She could seemingly see straight through him. He hid nothing from her. Let it all be known and suffer the consequences, but he needed to know of his friend.

Her regard softened suddenly and she told him all she knew, which was very little to help him with his quilt. “He is still in ICU right at this moment; his vital signs have not yet stabilized. You will not be allowed to see him. Your transport leaves for Earth the day after tomorrow, and I’m afraid your time will be spent detained with other matters. I will need you to come with me now.” She gestured for him to accompany her and the two walked off together.

Guinan felt badly for him because he was not truly responsible. The other cocky young man who had been injured had jumped in knowing of the Nausicaans reputation for violence, strength, temper, and disregard for life. Corey had only asked him to help him prove that they had been cheating. Picard had done that very well and more. Unknown to any of them; Ensign Zweller’s involvement in the incident was enough to change his assignment from the USS Valiant to the USS Ajax.

The soft hum of the automatic machinery was a comfort to him. He had been sick and hurting once as a small child. His father had been reluctant to bring him to the hospital, but once Jean-Luc was there all the pain stoped and he knew he would get better. He felt only a mild discomfort now. He was very week but no longer hurting. He tried to sit up but found he simply did not have the strength. He lifted his head to look about, and soon wished he hadn't. A rush of nausia flooded over him but just as quickly vanished. He recognized the sounds and smells, and although he could not yet make out the writting of the Earhart's medical plack on the wall, he knew he was in the station's infirmary.

"Are you feeling any better?" She asked in a soft, low voice. The question startled him, only because he didn't realize any one was there. The woman was of medium build, and dark skinned. She wore a loosly fitting dress of a royal purple, with a headress to match. She had no eyebrows and a wide mouth. Her voice was familiar to him, as if he had been hearing it all the while. She had no medical insignia or uniform, yet here she was. He did not know her but he recognized her from the recreation facilty on the station. He wondered who was she and what was she doing here now.

"Compared to what?" he asked in a weak voice managing to banter with a slight smile.

"How about right after that big nausicaan's knife went all the way through your heart?" She answered him in like smile, pouring him a small glass of water. She reached out and took his hand forming it around the glass and cupping both with her own, helped him to take a drink.

Her hands were soft and her touch easy, he didnt mind the contact in the least. In fact he was indeed thirsty and doubted he could have managed it alone. With earnest gratitude he replied "Thank you, I am feeling much better." he leaned back down into the bed, the effort of drinking seemingly to exuast him.

"Well then allow me to introduce myself, my name is Guinan."

Still not having gained enough strength to respond, he met her eyes and gave an acknowledging nod.

"I saw what you did." She paused to let him remeber it himself. "Not many people would stand up to three nausicaans...and this-" she gestured indicating his condintion in bed, "-might very well be the reason."

Picard strengthened himself up and keeping in his droll manner he started out "I must admit that looking for a fight may not have been the most prudent course of action." he stated not at all sounding defencive "In my opinion it had to be done. If I had to do it again, "he feined a confidence he did not truely feel, "I am sure I would do the same thing." He looked up at her again but this time appeared rather sheepish and added, "Even if I currently regret the outcome, and feel somewhat foolish lieing here in bed."

He was now very much aware of her presents. A stronge bearing, sturdy, self assuredand accepting. She appeared to be all of the age of 25, but he had the sence she was much older and incredably wise.

"Well, any way you choose to look back at this, you will have to live with the result for the rest of your life. Your heart was totally destroyed. You have an artificial cardiac unit now." Guinan spoke the words clearly, as a matter of fact. She watched his face as the information sunk into the brash young ensign. She centered her gaze to the changes her words made in his his eyes. She continued to look at him for a long while, not judging or critacal but accepting, warm, almost loving.

Not a lot of time had truely passed, maybe 2 minutes, maybe 5. Neither of them spoke. Picard had long ago looked away from her gaze, up to the diganostic indicators and tried to assess his condition from them. He was gaining strength quickly.

"What day is it?" The ensign sitting up, twisted around in bed from the diognostic indicators to look at Guinan a bit too quickly. The sudden movement caused a drain of blood from his head causing minor dizziness.

He is so young She again thought to herself. In her 700 years she had become accostumed to the differences of appearance, temperment, and wisdom in the age of various races.....This human had been near 60 when she first saw him. She watched and waited for him to regain his sight and sounds. "You need to take it easy, your in the intesive care unit of the Ernhert Medical Center. You were dead 2 days ago, remeber?"

The ensign seemed to be a little confused again, but continued.."2 days? What time is it?" The young man showing no sign of heeding her warnings, began to get out of bed.

"Your transport back to earth has already left. You still have at least 5 hours before they release you from this unit. Your guess is as good as mine when you will be released from the center. Guinan replied to him as he steadied himself, needing to stop every step of the way to stand up.

Picard thought quickly and just as quickly dismissed it. Fight and pay the price..now you dont get to "walk the stage" go on go on Now how do I get to Earth before assignments are posted?

"Guess? You're not a Dr." The ensign knew, not from where he knew, but he knew she was not a Dr.

He stared blankly looking at her. He knew she had been here with him, although he could not remeber actual conversations.....he knew something...

He saw she was staring at him. He stared back at her. Her face warm, comforting, and kind. He began to remeber different images of her. He remebered delerious rantings....anger..resentment...his father's disaproval of his entry into starfleet...guilt of lusting for his best friend's fiance..leave Earth for Starfleet, leave Janice, his family...loss, emptiness...resentment for his brother who had always bullied him and did everything their father wanted....his indecision of exploration through acheology or starfleet...home town hero wins all the achivement awards...utter cockiness....son of certainty...leap with both feet...bluff his way through...continue on dispite a lack of resolution...choose the forward progressive path, invision succsess and MAKE IT SO. This time he had almost died.

The strangest feeling came over him....he could look there, to that part of his heart he never could before.

He had learned at too young of an age not to waste time, not to dwell in wishing or self pity, from his fathers rigidity and his brothers abuse. His subcounsious difiance was exploration, to excell in science, to hold his own against a bigger stronger brother, and to run fast. He never shared these things with others for he could not share them with himself. He found himslef in-tune with them all. He had sorted through it and put it in its place. It had been pilling up for him before, causing over compesation, and arogance to hide it or conver it up. With this womans help, he had delt with it.

He was who he was, axactly who he wanted to be, and he now knew why. He felt a warm rush of pride welling up inside of him. Not the same as he would muster up when he needed it in some conflict, or to cover some bit of hurt, but a genuin feeling of self-love.

This Dark Woman was smilling at him from ear to ear. To his suprise, he was smilling just the same.

Guinan was watching him process all the things they had talked about when he had slipped in and out of counsiousness in the last 2 days. She seemed to look deep into his soul and saw the man she Knew and loved emerging.

The young ensign, not appearing as young now, remebered more and more of the last two days. He was actually amazed at the things he had shared. Amazed that they had still been inside his head from so long ago. "Thank you" was all he could seem to say. From the sparkle of woman's eyes, the 2 words said so much more.

She replied back to him "Your welcome." Her whole demeanor changed, "You really should get back into bed, I dont want a nurse comming in here holding me responsible for the fact your still acting like the stuborn idiot and standing up." She crossed the room in one fluid motion, and took him by the arm stearring him back into bed. He resisted at first but found he had not the streangth to continue with her expert manuvering.

"Fine, fine, alright already" He said the words keeping up displaying the strong front but gave himself away by hanging on her outstreatched arm as he returned to the bed.

Just as he was situated, as if on queue, the nurse came in.

She was a stout woman, not at all atractive. She had an air of urgancy and lack of caring about her. "Hello, and good afternoon. Welcome back to the world of the living." She did not meet his eyes or wait for a responce before going on to record the diognostic indicators on her computer pad. "Well, this all looks fine, an orderly will be along momentarily to transport you to your room on the recoverly ward." She regarded Guinan for the first time. "Who are you and how did you get in here, there are no visitors allowed in this ICU. You will have to leave now." She didnt wait for the dark woman to respond but shewed her in front of her and out the door as they both left the room.

As a child he had always kept busy. His father not allowing the use of conventional technolgy, things took longer to do. He liked the vineyard and the animals. He learned a respect for simplicity and greatness of life. Yet he wanted more, he needed more.

He loved his family, and he knew he was loved. He felt a tinge of guilt feeling anything contrary to that fact. He quickly dismissed such sloth emotions and continued on his goals.

A fathers words.."What are you doing Jean-Luc?"

"Nothing Father" a son's quick obidiant reply.

An easy grown man's clip across the top of the boys head "Well then get busy, I wont have you buring away the sunlight." And Jean-Luc did just that. He always kept busy. As long as he had a task he was outside his older brothers reach as well. After much practise and given his drive..whenever Robare did come after him, he managed to out think him in debate or at the very least to out-run him. Always using either as a victory to boost his own worth.

The build up of unresolved guilt eating away at his self-esteem..being countered by his over-achieving accomplishments building it back up.

He had been so self-driven and consistantly so..as to slip through the conselors and phyciatrists at Starfleet Academy. He was so practised at covering any uncomfortability of personal issues by mustering up the disipline and desire to succeed. He had never givin over to self-doubt or even allowed it to surface.

His failure at the Kobioushy Marue was a test at how one deals with Death and Failure. He had failed before. he was quick to admit when he had been wrong. he flashed back to one of his earliest memories. Jean-Luc no sitting on any pitty pot in this family He took being wrong for the simple mistake it was, analysed why and simply kept going...

To his credit he had seen the last test of Graduating Starfleet Academy for what it was and it never even allowed it to challenge his self-worth.

Everytime his worth or integraty was truely challenged he had to succeed. He had always done so...untill now. He slowly began to realize that part of this foolhardiness of his latest action was due to that.

He was not imortal anymore. But he again overcame, for he was still alive. Older and wiser and more in-tune. His musings now done, almost just as quick as he had always done but this time he delt with what they were instead of pushing it down.

"Hi" she knocked on the frame of his simi-private room. She stood there smiling, waiting for him to greet her, or some indication she should enter. He laid on his side with his back towards the door. Maybe he's sleeping agian, should I wake him this time? she questioned herself. While he was in ICU she always simply entered. She knew the staffs rounds and when to be there and not to. It was important then to be quiet and keep him relatively quiet. Now she was perfectly welcome to be a visitor to this man who's friends had all left the station that morning. Feeling an even closer conection, she again knocked louder and walked on in.

"Oh, hello, I see you found me,...good." Picard rubbed his eyes, rolling over, pulling the skimpy hospital garb, without missing a bit of dignity or displaying a hint of modesty. "Please come in" he had been asleep, now eager to have company. "Guinan is it?" he asked. "My name is Jean-Luc, some of my friends call me Johnny." he indicated to her with a gesture for her to sit on the side of the bed.

She took his invatation, satting with him. "I like the sound of Jean-Luc," she said his name in its true french pronuciation "it seems more fitting to you, or I'll just use your rank." starting to tease just a bit.

Not quite laughing he replied, "The ones who call me Johnny use it to tease." quickly picking up on her banter. "Most of my closest friends DO use Jean-Luc." he returned her smile feeling quite comfortable in her presents, grateful for her visit.

"You seem just fine! happy to see you're feeling better. You know when they will release you?" Guinan asked him.

"No, as a matter of fact. I have not seen any staff or my Dr yet to ask that. I had hoped for some reason you would know. I see you don't." Picard seemed to loose a hint of his mood, but as usual kept on. "As soon as I am released and briefed on any special concerns..I need to find a transport back to earth", he paused a moment "pending any special concerns and my ability to continue my comminsion in starfleet" he simply hoped for the best. He was truely in the dark of dealing with an artificail cardiac replacement. Normally he would not of shared the later, but this woman was his only friend here, and she had indeed proved a very valuable one at that.

"You don't have to do a thing with it, its self maintained. When you get on board a starship it will get any special attention it needs during your regular 3-month physicals" She assured him. Maybe a bit too quickly, he looked at her with some skeptasism and wonder. He decided he trusted her implicitly and accepted her input.

"I've already inquired to the stations travel computer. I am still listed as a cadet till the official graduating ceramonies." Guinan looked on, not responding, waiting for more. "That means, to the here and now, a transport is beyond by financial ability to charter. Contacting Starfleet Headquarters...This system in my room has no connection....I need to find out what I can do and where I stand after all this."

"I took the liberty to do some inquiries of my own, on your behalf. The next transport accepting federation credits, or the promose of them....Does not come into range till next week, they do not have a scheduled stop here, at best you would have to go to meet them in open space."

Picard interupted her "That I know. It doesn't look good...even if I had currency they would accept, truth be known, my father opposed my enlistment ion favor of me comming back to our farm. My mother provided for any general needs outside of the Academy, but my family did not provide me any capital." He stated it as matter of fact not with the slighest bit of bitterness or sought of sympathy. He kept on going. "I feel Starfleet might offer a viable option. Transport for any Starfleet officer is free within federation space."

"So all because you havn't "walked a stage" as you put it, you're still a cadet on record?" Guinan asking that which they both already knew.

"My real problem is time," Picard stated. "If a transport is dispatched now at warp 5 they could concievably pick me up and return to Earth same speed...I could get there in time." He sighed deeply "I don't see Command ordering a more prudent speed at a later time for one foolhardy cadet." sighing again "I know I wouldn't"

"So what you need now is a comm station." Guianan stated rather then ask.

"Precisly." Picard regarded her with interest. Thoughts quickly formulating a plan, he started to get out of bed.

"No no no." Guinan more quickly then he, reached over and pulled the covers over him creating an obsticle to his goal. "You stay here and I will...1) find your Dr. and get him or her over here to talk to you..and 2) locate a federation comm station and make some more inquiries." She stood over him exibiting all the authority she could muster. At his lack of struggle or reply she accepted that as compliance and left.

Picard, not able to be idle, got out of bed anyway, began looking for his uniform or a way to hail the staff.

He activated the staff comm unit and made his inquiries. The voice on the other end informed him his physicain was already in route to his room, and abruptly cut off.

He sat on the bed and waited.

The flash of a jagged sword protruding from his cheast flashed in his mind.

His hand went up to his chest and was met with a fresh uniform on top of newly healed flesh, no sword, no blood, no hole.

I need to get back to earth. I dont have time for this. He got up and peered down the hall from his room's open door. There was Guinan walking with a beautiful woman and a very old man. Both were dressed in the stations uniforms and clad with white lab coats. He sat back down and waited for the three to enter. He tried to clear his mind of what he anticipated.

After an extensive exame that seemed to him to take forever, the Dr pronounced him fit for duty and released from the stations infirmary. The elderly man left the room without a glance back.

The woman dismissed Guinan, and without waiting to see if the alurian had left, began a recital of what type of energy the young man would need to avoid. She repeated the list of precautions again and informed him his artificial heart would go unoticed by not only any onlookers but he himself would soon forget. She included he need not worry for in any duty rouster with said conditions would be flagged to his medical officer. With that, she asked him if he needed to speak to counsle concerning the past events. She stood there only breifly and when he did not respond she handed him a computer pad filled with all she, and the Dr, had said and informed him of the counslers office location and name if he should so need.

Smiling at the attractive young ensign she then shook his hand and left.

Picard still sitting at on the bed thought to himself for a while feeling unsatisfied and a bit perturbed. He quickly got up, gathered his belongings and left the room.

Guinan, who had been waiting right outside the door, now asked with body language for any news.

Picard greeted her with a glance and nod somehow indicating for her to accompany him as he had yet to decide to where they were going.