Sign in to follow this  
master_q

French bam the term “e-mail”

French bam the term “e-mail”

I think that’s all I have to say. (There is really nothing more to say)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

:lol: what?.. why?..............huh?

I think they believe it is “too American.”

(They are removing all government documents that use the term “e-mail” and replacing it with “courriel”)

Master Q

That's not true.

e-mail was used in France until they used the French Canadian term Courriel. And this happened only this year.

And, even if we have a French term, we still use e-mail or courriel...

Oh, and I think it's normal that we want to use term in our own language. It would be English, japanese or latin, I think it's normal we want a term that means something.

Courriel comes from Courrier that means mail.

Any other question about French usage and POV?

That's not true.

e-mail was used in France until they used the French Canadian term Courriel. And this happened only this year.

Oh, and I think it's normal that we want to use term in our own language. It would be English, japanese or latin, I think it's normal we want a term that means something.

Well said Ezri. France has been very lax at having terms from other languages creep into common use especially compared to Quebec. The laws regarding French language usage in Quebec are much, much tougher than France's laws.

I can understand why the French would want to have a term in thier own language. I don't believe that everyone needs to have the same term to understand what it is. If I was from Germany or China I'd want to use a term that was in my language instead of in english so I can see why they would change it. I don't see where it comes into play with the current political status of our two countries.

That's not true.

Well said Ezri. France has been very lax at having terms from other languages creep into common use especially compared to Quebec. The laws regarding French language usage in Quebec are much, much tougher than France's laws.

Right

I'm in Quebec, and French Canadian, so I can talk.. lol

And the french terms are often created in Quebec first, you are right.

And we don't do that to boycott USA... Or the rest of the Canada

I remember reading about France being upset with the internet being too "American" and I don't say "American" meaning "The United States". It was more a problem with the vast majority (at least at that time) of sites being in English and not in French. This was more of a problem for France itself if I recall right. This was maybe 5 or so years ago that I remember this story.

I myself don't care one way or the other, if it's a matter of them not liking the term because it's too "American" though it seems pretty petty, if it's just a matter of their culture wanting to use their own term then who am I to say otherwise?

Stardate:213545.6

I dont really care either way.If they want to change it then more power to them.Its not hurting me so why should I care.

I remember reading about France being upset with the internet being too "American" and I don't say "American" meaning "The United States". It was more a problem with the vast majority (at least at that time) of sites being in English and not in French. This was more of a problem for France itself if I recall right. This was maybe 5 or so years ago that I remember this story.

I myself don't care one way or the other, if it's a matter of them not liking the term because it's too "American" though it seems pretty petty, if it's just a matter of their culture wanting to use their own term then who am I to say otherwise?

Well, internet being in English can be a problem for ppl that speak French when you don't understand the language.

Because not everybody in France or in Quebec can understand or write English.

So, yes, Internet being too English or American can be a problem

As e-mail.. It may be pretty in English, but it sounds weird in French.

I probably presented it a bit overboard. I just think that it is funny.

I don’t think that it is a big deal. However, even if it is not France’s intention to do this for recent events anyone would think of a connection. That’s really the major point.

Master Q

Well, internet being in English can be a problem for ppl that speak French when you don't understand the language.

Because not everybody in France or in Quebec can understand or write English.

So, yes, Internet being too English or American can be a problem

As e-mail.. It may be pretty in English, but it sounds weird in French.

well alot of Canadian business' websites are offered in both french and english, which is nice.

I agree VBG.