Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

My Daughter has won an award!

Most of you don't know that my 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Autism and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder when she was about 3. Starting when she was 7, she was part of a wonderful autism program (segregated class) at a nearby school. Because she will be going on to junior high (integrated program) next year, it was decided that it would be best to re-integrate her into a regular classroom this year so it would be less tramatic when she changes school. Well, she has thrived in the new environment and we are all so proud of her!

In November, 2005 my daughter's resource teacher (who is also the teacher for the autism program) contacted me regarding the Yes I Can! Awards as she wanted to nominate my daughter for an award in academics. Today we received a letter from the Manitoba Council for Exceptional Children saying that my daughter is the 2006 Manitoba recipient for the academics award. She will be given her award on February 16. I am so proud of her!!! She has worked so hard, achieved so much and is an amazing young lady.

For more information on the awards, here is a link to their international website: Yes I Can! Awards

That's awesome. Give her a big hug from all of us at STF and a congratulations!

:clap:

That is outstanding!!! I am thrilled for her!!! She must quite an extraordinary girl!!! Congrats on having such a talented miss, Takara

Thanks everyone. She is an amazing kid and I am so proud of her. I'll try to remember to take some pictures at the ceremony to post here. My daughter can bring three guests to sit at her table so besides me, my mom and dad will be coming too (I'm a single parent). There will be an area where other guests can sit so her teacher, resource, aide, principal and others will also be there on the big night.

Congrats to your daughter!!!!!! :clap: That is wonderful to hear. And congrats to you too, Takara :clap:

Edited by Yillara_Skye

con grats my friend. To your daughter .

And to you I know you had a lot to do with it

A child learns from there parents i think i read. you are a

single parent? you need to be commened to.

Thanks. My daughter has had a lot of wonderful people working with her over the years - at daycare and school. When she was first diagnosed, she was non-verbal. She communicated by pointing at things and making a squeaking noise. Now we have problems getting her to stop talking at times. LOL I always knew she was a very bright girl and in the last round of testing at school they said there were a number of areas where she was at age appropriate levels while some (like communication skills) she is a few years behind. The progress she has made in 8 years is incredible.

We received more incredible news today. My daughter has been chosen to receive an International Yes I Can! Award for Academics. She is one of 4 Canadians who will be receiving an international award this year. The ceremony is in early April in Salt Lake City, Utah. I'm not sure if we will be able to go or not. It would be wonderful to be there. Gosh I'm absolutely floored by the news and so proud of my daughter.